Aching legs after 30 miles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, been 'cycling' for 3 years now, (about 1000 miles a year) very slow, not really getting better either, did at one point get up to 14 mph avg for a few rides but generally if I hit 13mph I'm happy. I know I have weak quads so just accept I will never be fast and enjoy the ride.
But, I cycle to get fit, so measure things to try to see if there is an improvement. Done more miles in 2016 than I did in 2015, etc, happy with that.

Went out yesterday and did 40 miles (previous best 42, normally ride 20ish, 30 tops), but it was such a struggle. Couldn't get up the first hill without walking (its only 2 miles from home) and although I was disappointed with myself (had done this hill 6 times, walked the first 3, managed to ride it last 3 so annoyed I couldn't this time) I still ploughed on and enjoyed the ride.

BUT, once I hit about 33/34 miles I got terrible pains in both legs, in the quads. the only time it eased a little was when I got off the bike to walk down a hill (its so steep I cant ride it, I brake but speed still increases, same hill I had to walk up at the start of the ride). Every pedal stroke I was in agony, how I managed to get the other 8 miles home is beyond me, it was torture.

A mate suggested it was lack of food - I had a normal Saturday breakfast (couple sliced turkey bacon in a bun, apple, cup of tea) and on the ride (which took me 4 hours altogether but 3:30 cycling time, 11.5 mph) had a banana and a kids size haribo plus plenty of water - is this the reason? if I had refuelled properly would I have not felt the pain (advice on what I should have eaten please?), or am I just so unfit that I should not be attempting 40 mile rides?

My ambition this year is to do a 50 mile ride. There are 3 times I have done over 30, first one was a reccy to see if I could commute to work, 18 miles each way - did it in one go and legs started hurting as above at the 32/33 mark....second time was a sportive I entered which was 35 miles and as above, legs started about a mile from the finish - I don't remember my refuelling on either of these rides and had put it down to simply being unfit?

Frustrated with so many things, it was one of my slowest rides, couldn't get up a hill I thought I had conquered,

8 miles to home with aching legs is not pleasant...not a good start to my cycling year :-(

Any advice more than welcome

So, been 'cycling' for 3 years now, (about 1000 miles a year) very slow, not really getting better either, did at one point get up to 14 mph avg for a few rides but generally if I hit 13mph I'm happy. I know I have weak quads so just accept I will never be fast and enjoy the ride.
But, I cycle to get fit, so measure things to try to see if there is an improvement. Done more miles in 2016 than I did in 2015, etc, happy with that.

Went out yesterday and did 40 miles (previous best 42, normally ride 20ish, 30 tops), but it was such a struggle. Couldn't get up the first hill without walking (its only 2 miles from home) and although I was disappointed with myself (had done this hill 6 times, walked the first 3, managed to ride it last 3 so annoyed I couldn't this time) I still ploughed on and enjoyed the ride.

BUT, once I hit about 33/34 miles I got terrible pains in both legs, in the quads. the only time it eased a little was when I got off the bike to walk down a hill (its so steep I cant ride it, I brake but speed still increases, same hill I had to walk up at the start of the ride). Every pedal stroke I was in agony, how I managed to get the other 8 miles home is beyond me, it was torture.

A mate suggested it was lack of food - I had a normal Saturday breakfast (couple sliced turkey bacon in a bun, apple, cup of tea) and on the ride (which took me 4 hours altogether but 3:30 cycling time, 11.5 mph) had a banana and a kids size haribo plus plenty of water - is this the reason? if I had refuelled properly would I have not felt the pain (advice on what I should have eaten please?), or am I just so unfit that I should not be attempting 40 mile rides?

My ambition this year is to do a 50 mile ride. There are 3 times I have done over 30, first one was a reccy to see if I could commute to work, 18 miles each way - did it in one go and legs started hurting as above at the 32/33 mark....second time was a sportive I entered which was 35 miles and as above, legs started about a mile from the finish - I don't remember my refuelling on either of these rides and had put it down to simply being unfit?

Frustrated with so many things, it was one of my slowest rides, couldn't get up a hill I thought I had conquered,

8 miles to home with aching legs is not pleasant...not a good start to my cycling year :-(

Any advice more than welcome
You know what, we all have off days and cycling after the christmas/ new year break is some of the toughest, dont lose heart as you will gradually build the legs up for that 50 miler...if you can do 30 you have got it in you.

Slick

Guru
Mmm, I don't think I'm going to be the best person to give you anything definitive. However, without more specific information, I don't think you will get much further with anyone. It could simply be an off day, we all get them. Have you had a cold, or maybe even you are in for a cold. I wouldn't worry too much, its still only January so plenty of time to up those miles. Give yourself a break.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you probably aren't quite doing enough riding to get much fitter. 1,000 miles a year is less than 20 miles a week, averaged over the full year. It must be giving you a lot of health benefits, but I think if you could step that up to (say) 40-50 miles a week then it would make a big difference.

Are you sure that your saddle is high enough? If it is significantly low then I could see that giving you painful legs during a ride.

I think you probably aren't quite doing enough riding to get much fitter. 1,000 miles a year is less than 20 miles a week, averaged over the full year. It must be giving you a lot of health benefits, but I think if you could step that up to (say) 40-50 miles a week then it would make a big difference.

Are you sure that your saddle is high enough? If it is significantly low then I could see that giving you painful legs during a ride.
That's a good point, and not long gaps between rides either. Once the legs are properly conditioned the pain reduces considerably.

StuartG

slower but further
Ahem, I note you are from Northumberland so respect!

As above the solution is miles and then a few more. Forget about speed. When you ride comfortably the distance you want the you can consider upping the cadence - but not before. I also note that you appear to be doing this alone. Not a good idea.

Riding with a group takes you further, faster for less effort and you get to share your pain with others. I've set a target for my club (mostly retired non-racers) of 2017 miles this year. ts only 6 miles a day. But do it and the results will come.

Just do it!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Could be a 'cadence' thing too, do you 'grind' at the pedals or select a lower gear and 'spin' (spinning is much more effective)

Lozz360

Veteran
As Accy has asked, your age and weight is relevant info. Don't worry about the average speed. You live in a very hilly county, so average speed is going to be lower compared to others who ride in the flatlands.

Assuming your bike is a road bike, how confident are you that it's set up to fit you properly? Someone has already suggested that your seat height may be too low, which will make hill climbing more difficult. Also, if the bike is not adjusted to fit you, it could explain the aching legs.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Sounds like cramp which can ruin a good ride.

As Colin J said seat height is crucial.even slightly too low will cause you grief on hills.

Dont let it put you off somedays you will be better than others for no obvious reason.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

Which hill is that? Not Bothal Bank? I can't get up there either - the camber on the bend defeats me each time.I tend to ride up the coast so I avoid the worst hills :smile:

As others have said if your bike is set up ok you probably just need to ride more. When I started riding I signed up to do the Great North Bike Ride so that I had a target to aim for - I did one 50 miler on my own before the event.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
As others have mentioned - saddle height, distances etc.

I experienced something similar although I've only been cycling for about 3 months. I completed my first 40 mile ride and felt fine. I was a bit sore afterwards but was OK on the ride itself . A couple of days later I did the ride again and started struggling at about 20 miles. I have no idea why, I put it down to an 'off' day.

GOAB

Reactions: mjr

Globalti

Legendary Member
See if you can post a picture on here of yourself on the bike, leaning against a wall. It needs to be taken from sideways on with one leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke. There are lots of experienced cyclists on here who can check your position.

screenman

Legendary Member
Are you fit enough for what you are trying to do? I doubt it. In honesty we have old biddies around the village that do more miles per year than that just going to the shops.

What I would say is well done for completing such a distance, most of the UK population could get nowhere near that mileage in one month let alone one go.

Top Bottom