Action cameras and safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I saw a Youtube video recently where a guy was held up at gunpoint by a couple of guys who wanted to rob him. They took his bike but failed to notice he had a camera on his head. He got some lovely close up face shots of them both.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Dogcam Cameras is where I bought mine from. The one below is on the large side.
View attachment 440414
That's neat. How long does it record for?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Aren`t they a bit difficult to hide?

Isnt the big camera shaped object a bit of a giveaway?

They're not camera shaped; they look like, and function as, normal bike lights, particularly the rear (Fly6):
fly6.png

The front (a Fly12) is slung beneath my bars like this:
fly12.png

Unless you knew what you were looking for, I don't think most people would spot that these were expensive HD cameras.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Have people seen the offer from these people:

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

There must be a catch, four hour battery duration and 1080P HD? That said I am very tempted to give it a punt at that price!
Customer service is non existant and they ship on a date basis, which could be 6wks away

beepbeep

I have one in each car, ( next base Duo HD ) on my motorcycle ( gO pRO ), mountain bike and a tiny one under the Garmin on my road bike..(Shmano )..woudnt leave home without one now.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I started using one because I was fed up of having nothing to use to hold careless drivers to account, and if one of them did bop me off there might at least be some evidence of what happened.

About a dozen drivers have been contacted by the Police as a result of reports I have made (the majority getting "words of advice"). The incidents have been close passes, tailgating and one incident of threatening behaviour.

I nurture a (perhaps naïve) hope that some of those drivers may have decided to drive more carefully around cyclists in future.

That is the only way in which, perhaps, having the camera may have improved my & others' safety in respect of these few individuals. I prefer it to shrugging my shoulders & meekly accepting the danger, or getting into potential arguments at junctions.
What I find alarming about this is that in the last 15 years I could not think of a dozen occasions where I would want to report someone. I ride about 1000km each month.

I am not suggesting you are doing this. But watching youtube clips it appears some riders are going out to pick fault with motorists. Just because they have bought a camera. In my experience it would maybe be better if cyclists sorted out cyclist first. My biggest danger is from cyclists with headphones and mobile phones. Often both at the same time.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What I find alarming about this is that in the last 15 years I could not think of a dozen occasions where I would want to report someone. I ride about 1000km each month.

I am not suggesting you are doing this. But watching youtube clips it appears some riders are going out to pick fault with motorists. Just because they have bought a camera. In my experience it would maybe be better if cyclists sorted out cyclist first. My biggest danger is from cyclists with headphones and mobile phones. Often both at the same time.

And by far the majority of your riding is still in Denmark, or at least not in busy British cities?

Top Bottom