Action cameras and safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I am looking at getting some sort of camera but I am completely undecided lol

My main concern is how much videoing I can do in one go or if I can get a camera that will still record if Im using a power-bank on it.

And it`s not for recording bad motorists, I`m actually off cycling in the Alps next year and I want something that will record the climbs for me. That rules out any cameras that conk out after an hour as I would still be halfway up a good alpine climb!
Drift ghost X has very good battery life and will probably be my next camera

classic33

Leg End Member

hitmanovs

my friend has this takes good video but only in 11min clips and when u trying to convert the videos to use in windows movie makers to put all the videos together the converted video drags I've tried to convert it I to different format and got the same results video dragging every couple of seconds .

Well, after an initial hic-cup with the Drift (I haven`t updated it after buying it), I`m loving it. There is no break in footage when I stitch the files together (10 mins each file) but I`m not using Windows Movie Maker cos you don`t get that with Windows 10 anymore. Instead, I just downloaded a free one (OpenShot Video Editor) and it works brilliantly.

Your friend either needs to make sure he has the latest firmware for the Drift or work on his editing skills!

Drift ghost X has very good battery life and will probably be my next camera

It’s a great option for bike use. I’ve been using one for around five months and battery life beats anything else available (without add-on tethered battery packs); I regularly get 4-5 hours on the standard battery at 1080p and the extended battery ran all day (>8hrs) a few weeks ago.

Footage is good enough in daylight for plate recognition and the rotating lense is nice for changing mounting orientation without faffing around in menus. Buttons are big and easy to work with gloves on, but, the settings display is pretty tiny so you may have to squint a bit. You’ll also need the action-cam adaptor for use with combo gps or GoPro mounts.

I run mine in ‘Car DVR’ mode so it loop records, but be aware that it’ll automatically turn on and start recording if plugged into a power source when in this mode; this slows recharge time massively so worth the few secs to switch DVR mode off before you charge it, and remember to switch back when it’s charged.

Some people had issues with freezing on earlier firmware versions but it never happened to me and subsequent upgrades seem to have largely resolved the issue for most users.

Only things I’d change would be a mechanical latch for the battery rather than a friction fit, and it’d be nice if it had better weather resistance. They recommend use of the dive housing for anything beyond light rain. That said, for the price and performance I’ve not found a better option, and the battery life makes it genuinely useful for cycling use.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I run mine in ‘Car DVR’ mode so it loop records, but be aware that it’ll automatically turn on and start recording if plugged into a power source when in this mode; this slows recharge time massively so worth the few secs to switch DVR mode off before you charge it, and remember to switch back when it’s charged.
This is due to CarDVR mode being for dashcam use, where the power source usually comes on with the ignition. I have mine plugged in often enough to keep on top of the files so I just use Instant Record in HDR/30, THM files off, timestamps off, HIGH bitrate and standard ISO

Truly an awesome piece of tech, excuse my dirty helmet :rolleyes:

DSC_0054.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom