Actually Waterproof Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Jugular said:
Thanks for the reply Paul, I'm not sure it tells me whether the other pannier makes are in any way worse but it has convinced me I might want to consider Ortlieb and Carradice due to the longer lasting qualities.
It was interesting to read your CTC forum post as well but in parts it made me wonder whether I'd ever understand the more technical bits... Oh and one thing that annoyed me was that you write "interms" and not "in terms" but maybe that's just me :blush:.
I'm now in the process of costing things up and wondering how much modernising I need to put my "new" galaxy through. There's so much I could spend money on but I must hold back at least a little for food and camping fees...
If I new how to spell I woodunt be wurking in a byke shop, i wood have a reel job :blush:

[url=http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/graphics/Adobe_France.jpg]Paul_Smith[/URL]
[url=http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/]www.bikeplus.co.uk[/URL]

HelenD123

Guru
Hi Jugular. I have a pair of the Altura Fusions. They haven't seen much use but seem fine. I like the rack fixing they have. My only gripe is they don't have any pockets. It's useful to have somewhere to put your keys or wallet so you're not scrabbling round trying to find them. I was lucky that my LBS let me have them half price. Everyone raves about the Ortliebs so I think if I was paying full price I'd go for them.

OP
OP
J

Jugular

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at dhb Marsden's now as they're the cheapest "100% waterproof" panniers I can find and they're pretty much half the price of Ortlieb's. Saves me some money for all the other extras I need.

asterix

Comrade Member
For my Pyrenean trip last year I replaced my old panniers with Carradice after nearly going for Ortlieb.

The main reason was their extra capacity and large rear pockets which meant I could get all my gear in, incl. large Hilleberg tent and leave the front panniers at home. I never regretted it despite 2.5 days of torrential rain which failed to get into the panniers.

simoncc

I use Dawes panniers lined with 3 10p bags for life. That keeps everything totally dry for a one off 30p investment.

Brock

I'm using 20 odd quid a pair halfords panniers with rubble sack liners. No water gets in and they've held up very well for over a month on the road now. I like the zippy pockets. zweeep zweeeeeEEP Peeeeewz There's zips on the tent too.. zweeeEEEP zweeeeeeP

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There seem to be two grades of Ortlieb material: really thick shiny stuff which seems to be specifically designed for riding through thorn bushes and a lighter, thinner version. I have the latter (roll up top) and they've always kept everything bone dry.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Andy in Sig said:
There seem to be two grades of Ortlieb material: really thick shiny stuff which seems to be specifically designed for riding through thorn bushes and a lighter, thinner version. I have the latter (roll up top) and they've always kept everything bone dry.

The two grades are called ’Classic’ and ’Plus’ the latter is the more expensive of the two and slightly lighter and also slightly stronger

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Brains

Legendary Member
Brock said:
I'm using 20 odd quid a pair halfords panniers with rubble sack liners. No water gets in and they've held up very well for over a month on the road now. I like the zippy pockets. zweeep zweeeeeEEP Peeeeewz There's zips on the tent too.. zweeeEEEP zweeeeeeP

Having run a number of Explorer Scout cycle trips over the years, there is nowt wrong with £20 Halfords panniers and a pair of 50p rubble sacks.

In the depts of our hut there are several pairs that will be good for a 3rd or even 4th Expediton.

We take along a large handfull of cable zip ties of various sizes and a load of R&K fittings and you can get them through another trip of serious teenage abuse, its the zips and corners that go 1st.

However, that said, every single one of the 6 Leaders has Ortalieb roll top Classics, all of which have also been used of multiday Canadian canoe trips. They are waterproof, really waterproof, down to about 1m at a push for a short while.

As for pockets - you dont want them or need them.
The solution is a bar bag, with an R&K fitting and shoulder strap.
Camera, money, maps, passports, etc and all easily removable from the bike when you nip into a shop or whatever
(and made waterproof with a common or garden plakki bag)

OP
OP
J

Jugular

To demonstrate my incredible fickleness, I am plumbing for;
- Ortlieb Roller Plus front and rear panniers for me
- Altura Dryline rear panniers and barbag for Kat.
I think that balances cost, lasting equipment, waterproof-ness, weight and versatility best for our needs. Also perhaps resaleability if for some reason we hate the whole idea of cycletouring. All from Wiggle as that's the cheapest I've found so far.

jay clock

Massive member
Hi Jug

I had some Karrimors for the last 2-3 years and they were fine but not very waterproof. I traded up to the Ortlieb roller ones for my trip to NZ and the days of rain I had did not even cause a minor dribble inside. The clip on design etc is second to none.

But if you are strapped for cash then any panniers are ok when lined with a bag for life. In fact I use bags inside the Ortliebs as it makes it easier to pack

Good luck with Kat;s new bike!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Wiggle do their own, cheaper version of the Ortliebs. I don't know how good they are.

I have some of those... very good theya re too... not tested in monsoon conditions yet, but have handled 17 mile commutes in the wet and kept everything inside dry as the proverbial*. :biggrin:

*witches tit

Magna

asterix said:
For my Pyrenean trip last year I replaced my old panniers with Carradice after nearly going for Ortlieb.

The main reason was their extra capacity and large rear pockets which meant I could get all my gear in, incl. large Hilleberg tent and leave the front panniers at home. I never regretted it despite 2.5 days of torrential rain which failed to get into the panniers.

I too nearly went for Ortlieb but chose Carradice because someone pointed out that Carradice was a British brand vs German. The rear pockets represent a clear advantage over Ortlieb.

Top Bottom