Adjustable stems - yes or no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Has anyone used adjustable-angle stems, such as this one? (others are available, this Ritchey one is just a typical example). Picture :
upload_2017-10-23_21-45-4.png

Most reviewers (and a guy I used to ride with) seem happy with them but I see the occasional remark about the risk of the handlebar slipping down whilst being ridden. Is this a real concern, or are they fine as long as they're set up and tightened correctly?
I would be using them on my everyday bike, which I use for some longer rides too, so I don't want anything that needs regular checking and readjusting.

(a bit of background : following on-going back problems, I want to raise and move the handlebars on this bike to be more like on my others, and for that I need a steeper angle stem. There are a (very) few 35 degree stems out there, but more adjustable ones like this.)

Sharky

Guru
Got one on my TT bike at the moment. Very good for making minor adjustments to position.

Current one is very secure. The joint is splined, so wont slip without completely undoing. However an earlier version I used did suffer from working loose.

They are heavier than a basic stem, so once you decide the angle you need, best to replace with a normal stem.

presta

Guru
It depends how they're constructed. Some are locked by a bolt that jams a wedge against a fluted surface, and they're a bit of a liability if the bolt works loose. The one I had was designed so that it couldn't slip even if it was loose: it was like a door hinge with a splined pin. It couldn't be moved unless the bolt and the splined plug were completely removed first.

bpsmith

Veteran
That would make total sense to me. Definitely not an ongoing fitment, aside from when you can’t get a particular size or angle.

bpsmith

Veteran
Don’t mistake my posts for dissing them. Definitely not having a go, just don’t like the look personally. Tried to convey that above, but apologies if it came across differently.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don’t mistake my posts for dissing them. Definitely not having a go, just don’t like the look personally. Tried to convey that above, but apologies if it came across differently.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I apologise if it seemed that way.

Jason

@robjh - In regards to stems with a greater than 35 degree rise, look at track bike stems,for slamming the bars down low. If you flip one of those,it will give you a +70 degree rise. The disadvantage is the writing or logo will up upside down.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I fitted an adjustable stem onto my old skool MTB a couple of weeks ago due to back problems. No problems with loosening or other worries after hard rides in Llandegla and Macclesfield Forest. The latter was particularly rocky. Very useful for experimenting with different angles to find the best position.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
I had one of those Richy ones. No problems, other than the odd creak. Like others have said they're heavy, so if you're not using the adjustment you may as well replace it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Sorry to hear you have back problems Rob. I went through that a while ago a raised and short stem helped me get through it so good luck GWS.

Top Bottom