Adjustment to fixed gear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
it takes a bit of getting used to ,and not being able to freewheel down any hills is interesting ,but on the flat its really no bother ,u soon adapt to it ,even on my geared road bike i forget im on it and pedal constantly:blush:(not very hard though cos im rubbish)

:welcome:ThaiGuy.

As jim55 says, there is a learning curve to it, but it's not difficult. If you're not confident though I suggest getting to grips with it away from main roads initially.

I'm just getting back into riding fixed after buying a new bike last week, and I find myself saying, "pedal, pedal, pedal" to myself as I ride along as a constant reminder, but TBH you adapt really quickly IMO.

OP
OP
ThaiGuy

ThaiGuy

Got a few hills to contend with but the rest of the route is flat(ish). Read up and everywhere seems to say that hills are easier than you first think apart from coming down the other side which you mentioned :smile:

Cogs are easy to change if you find the gearing too tough, and even chainrings/chainsets aren't too expensive unless you go for real high end stuff like a Sugino 75.

Uphill has two options, MTFU or get off :laugh:

Downhill can require lots of brake use until you adapt to regulating your speed accordingly.

As for brakes, I always run a front and rear brake, I might not use the rear much, but I'd rather have it there just in case. A lot of people say you absolutely don't need a rear brake, but not me. Then you have the folk that say you don't need any brakes at all, I refer to those people as organ donors in waiting :crazy:

There will be times when you stop pedalling briefly on a geared bike but are not aware you do so. This happened to me and on fixed you get a rude reminder that you cannot stop. For me the triggers were as follows:

1. I stopped pedalling for a second or two at the top of a big climb. I had no idea I did this until my fixed bike launched me skyward....

2. I stopped pedalling to look over my shoulder. This is the result of stiff shoulders after many crashes. Do not do this on fixed-gear bicycles.

3. I sometimes stopped pedalling to grab a bidon. This is the worst 'sudden reminder' as you generally have only one hand on the bars.

Other people mention stopping pedalling to fart, but I was brought up well and pass no wind. You can believe that if you want.

Once your brain has 'got it' with fixed-gear riding, it is wonderful. The difference when compared to geared bikes is like the difference between a revvy Italian car with a 5-speed 'box and a lazy Yank V8 with a slushbox. Both are wonderful, both are cars, but neither is anything like the other.

In my analogy I do not know which is the fixed-gear bicycle. But I know what I mean and I don't care if anone else does.

I stopped pedalling to look over my shoulder. Do not do this on fixed-gear bicycles.
I did this, I went to look over my shoulder prior to an approaching right turn. I never did it again!!!!

Most people tend to freewheel when they come to speed bumps, sunken grids, potholes and such like IMO. This is where I found my mantra seemed to help, "pedal, pedal, pedal"

OP
OP
ThaiGuy

ThaiGuy

That's the thing I'm a bit weary about. The times where subconsciously stop pedalling for whatever reason, but I suppose it's like anything, practice, practice, practice. I can't wait to see to give it a whirl. ^_^

That's the thing I'm a bit weary about. The times where subconsciously stop pedalling for whatever reason, but I suppose it's like anything, practice, practice, practice. I can't wait to see to give it a whirl. ^_^
It's a bit like the clipless moment thing. When you first ride clipless you should expect a mishap.

Well when you first ride fixed expect the bike to try and rip your knees off when you forget to pedal. It'll only happen one, trust me ;)

Incidentally, I've never had a 'clipless moment' myself, so there are exceptions to every rule.

Most, (not all though), fixed/ss bikes are supplied with 'flip/flop' rear hubs. This means by simply turning the rear wheel 180 degrees you can alternate between fixed or single speed, (freewheel), one piece of advice is to ride it ss until you are accustomed to the bike, then switch it to fixed once you are confident.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I hated it! Our roads are too dangerous IMO to be contending with fixed as well! Full of admiration for those that can though! My Dad still tells me the (same old) story about riding to the mast on winter hill on a fixed when he was a lad.

tyred

Legendary Member
I hated it! Our roads are too dangerous IMO to be contending with fixed as well! Full of admiration for those that can though! My Dad still tells me the (same old) story about riding to the mast on winter hill on a fixed when he was a lad.

TBH, in situations where fine cycle control is required, I would take fixed wheel over freewheel every time. I feel I have a lot more control on fixed.

I accept that it's not for everyone and although I thought I got the hang of it very quickly, with hindsight, it took me a few hundred miles to be genuinely comfortable on fixed.

edindave

Über Member
I got my fixed last Friday, and had my first decent ride on it today, 16 miles in total. ^_^

The only issues were a couple of times when I had to indicate to turn right off a main road. I subconsciously stopped pedalling, and got a little kick of a reminder, but no major problem.

I'm just riding on flat pedals to begin with, until I get some mileage in, and then I'll stick SPDs on it.

Top Bottom