Admiral now penalize drivers on speeding awareness courses.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul99

Über Member
Completely incorrect, I was reversing off my mirrors, I knew there were children to my offside, I took my eyes from the NS mirror to check both the OS mirror & where the children were by which time he had deliberately driven around the back of me, did I mention the humpty loud reversing alarm on the van? I agree I was a VICTIM of a fraud, which the Insurance company knew about, as I told them & their solicitors & yes it does mean they are SCUM as they perpetuated the fraud.quote]

What did the police say about this? I assume you called the police. He must have been some driver to deliberately drive around the back of you and stop so that his nearside wheel was just touching your bumper, in what? the two seconds you were checking on the kids? The reversing alarm is irrelevant. When you are reversing you do not automatically have right of way.

I certainly wouldn't have had to pay the £5.5K as it would have been thrown out of court, £3K for whiplash, I was doing less than 1 mile an hour. £1.5K for car hire, he had 2 cars on hire at the time, one for each accident, amazingly his 'mate' owned the hire car firm. £700 for the POS Honda Civic of which I caused no damage whatsoever as the only thing I touched was an out turned tyre, he got paid out on that twice as well. Can't remember what the extra £200 was for, as to what it has cost me, so far in excess of £1500 in increased premiums & I had to sell a car as I wasn't insurable for reasonable costs on it.

So you know for sure that you would have been able to beat them in court then? It would have still have cost you a damn sight more than your insurance premium to hire legal counsel for a court appearance. .

Previous to this I have driven for over 30 years without EVER having an accident or making a claim, a FULL clean license for any vehicle that moves apart from a tracked vehicle, a member of the Advance Motorcyclists, so please don't tell me I don't know how to drive. This was over 3 years ago & I bet you can tell I am still angry about it, I was the VICTIM yet got screwed royally but the scum insurance company.

I didn't at any point say that you didn't know how to drive, but your previous history is irrelevant. There are plenty of drivers who have exemplary driving records until they make a mistake and sometimes it's a fatal mistake.

This was over 3 years ago & I bet you can tell I am still angry about it, I was the VICTIM yet got screwed royally but the scum insurance company.quote]

I've no doubt you were the victim of a fraud here, but the insurance company didn't screw you over, the fraudster did.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Being caught speeding is the key to the insurance query from the OP. Seems fair to me.

D

Deleted member 26715

I take it you weren't, and aren't, driving a group A car then?
No they are/were gas guzzling Japanese 'performance' cars MR2 Turbo, Nissan Skyline, Subaru Impreza, 1st 2 have now gone, we are actually down to 3 cars between the 2 of us (forget the motorbikes), assuming I don't fetch another one this weekend I fancy.

What did the police say about this? I assume you called the police. He must have been some driver to deliberately drive around the back of you and stop so that his nearside wheel was just touching your bumper, in what? the two seconds you were checking on the kids? The reversing alarm is irrelevant. When you are reversing you do not automatically have right of way.
I don't think he intended to actually get the tyre to touch the car, I think the intention was that I was supposed to hit the car properly, as for the Police they refused to come out, as it was in a car park on private property & supposedly there was no injuries.

So you know for sure that you would have been able to beat them in court then? It would have still have cost you a damn sight more than your insurance premium to hire legal counsel for a court appearance. .
You are correct I do't know I would have won, but I believe once an impartial judge had seen the evidence 1 man involved in the same accident 2 days apart, with no damage to my vehicle whatsoever I believe he would have judged in my favour

I've no doubt you were the victim of a fraud here, but the insurance company didn't screw you over, the fraudster did.
We clearly have different views on this Paul, this was fraud, the insurance company knew it was fraud yet they still paid out, it's just wrong, so sorry but until they clean up their act on both the premiums & the cosy relationships they have with bodyshops then in my mind they are scum.

Alan..

davefb

Guru
Theres no incentive for them(insurance) to investigate...

thats how come the 'run into the back' lads got away with it for so long. there was no reason for the insurers to investigate.. in fact it will cost them money whereas just charging people inflated costs and not doing any checking will mean more money for them..

Paul99

Über Member
We clearly have different views on this Paul, this was fraud, the insurance company knew it was fraud yet they still paid out, it's just wrong, so sorry but until they clean up their act on both the premiums & the cosy relationships they have with bodyshops then in my mind they are scum.

Alan..

Our views are actually the same. It was fraud, the insurance company knew it was fraud.

But it would still have cost them substantially more to investigate and litigate than it would to pay the claim and the effect on your insurance premium would be exactly the same for the reasons 400BHP has stated a couple of times, being a victim of fraud or an innocent party in an accident changes your demographic and the insurers risk perception of you so you get higher premiums.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Aviva paid out £1700 for repairs, plus a further undisclosed sum for whiplash and lost earnings, to a taxi driver with whom my son had an 'accident' when changing lanes while crossing the Tyne Bridge.

The taxi driver had positioned his taxi in my son's blind spot, I'm quite convinced it was deliberate, but there was no excuse for my son's negligence in not checking properly. However the taxi driver made no attempt to warn of his presence, slow down or brake or avoid the coming together of his front bumper and our rear door, and allowed my son to pull over into his lane- the accident causing a small scuff in the paint off a plastic strip on the rear door our car.

The taxi driver claimed for a complete new bumper, respray, headlight assembly and then for whiplash, lost earnings, and hire of a replacement vehicle. My son and the four occupants in our car felt no impact at all.

I repeatedly told Aviva that the taxi-driver was making a fraudulent claim but they weren't interested. However though it was logged as my son's fault, when it had all been sorted out they didn't log it as a claim against our insurance, despite me emailing them to double-check and we had paid for our own repair, ie touched up the plastic protector strip on the door!

I'm totally convinced taxi-drivers are on the make as I've since heard of 3 similar accidents. Whiplash in one case being caused by a reverse from a parking space causing a dint in the rear door side of a taxi that was parked opposite the parking space at the time.

davefb

Guru
mind you...
my sister in law hit a parked car... (fantastic piece of driving....).. she was investigated for 'without due care', and had a 2 inch dint in the passenger door from the incident..
she "got away with it" because when the claim came in from the other party, they'd had 3 wings damaged and extra damage.... and it *was* thrown out..
this was a few years back though, so maybe we're back to "it not being in the companies interest" attitude which seems to be the case nowadays..

gah, need to have a bike ride to chill-ax

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The fact that someone makes a claim for a third party accident tells you nothing about the likelihood of a future claim.
The statistics prove you wrong.

GrasB

Veteran
I'm not sure the 20% is correct, (other things can be at play such as accumulation risk that insurance companies don't like) but let's assume there is a (marginal) increase in premium.
It was about 20% (previous year was ~£380, compared to the renewal of ~£480, I write off a ~5%/year increase as insurance inflation), would the fact that the car was heavily modified have any impact on it?

400bhp

Guru
It was about 20% (previous year was ~£380, compared to the renewal of ~£480, I write off a ~5%/year increase as insurance inflation), would the fact that the car was heavily modified have any impact on it?

It's very difficult to comment without knowing the full information, but generally I would say yes it would. @SRW will know more about this than me but I would guess modified cars will see greater variability in premium prices year on year than non modded cars (e.g. smaller market, more factors for the insurer to consider, more bespoke/underwriting needed)

Top Bottom