Admission:- I can't ride no hands !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite 30 years cycling under my belt - I can't ride no hands. To be honest I don't try much - I just couldn't let go of the bars .......

Any tips for mastering this skill ? painlessly ?

MiK1138

Veteran
Don't, you are in charge of a vehicle and should maintain control at all times, It rips my knitting when I see people riding with no hands, usually texting, the very thing they would scream blue murder about if it was a motorist

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Don't, you are in charge of a vehicle and should maintain control at all times, It rips my knitting when I see people riding with no hands, usually texting, the very thing they would scream blue murder about if it was a motorist

I know and agree - But I completed the birmingham velo this year - which was fantastic and my best cycling achievement- I intend to do it again next year and it would be the icing on the cake to cross the finish line no hands !

MiK1138

Veteran
I think the difference in damage potential from the two modes of transport has some relevance here.
I think thats a cop out to excuse behavior we complain about when we see other road users doing it. and the weight of my bike will have no bearing on the impact of damage should i hit a pothole and go down

Tim Hall

I think thats a cop out to excuse behavior we complain about when we see other road users doing it. and the weight of my bike will have no bearing on the impact of damage should i hit a pothole and go down
The damage to you. The damage an uncontrolled motor vehicle can cause to other people is considerable.

(Edit, TMN^2)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Chill out guys its christmas ! - I was hoping this would be a lighthearted thread - full of epic fails - !!!!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im not very confident doing it but basic principle is sit very upright with center of weight to the back.

On my old trek hybrid it was easy.cant do it on my jamis aurora at all for some reason.

Some riders I know put jackets on and off still riding fast.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Have you tried taking your hands off a couple of inches and keeping them there within easy reach?
ken.jpg

Jason

Have always been able to do it and still do when away from other traffic/bikes/pedestrians if i need to adjust clothing, reach for a energy bar or just to relieve pressure on my hands for 10 seconds.
start by picking a very quiet slightly downhill section of path - and keep yourself centred on the bike, then let go with one hand, and slowly gradually lift other hand away (keep it close to the grip, until you master the skill).
a bit of speed actually helps the bike to go straight.

don't worry about the PC brigade - you want to have that no hands moment across the finish line - GOOD LUCK !!

Top Bottom