Admission:- I can't ride no hands !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MiK1138

Veteran
The damage to you. The damage an uncontrolled motor vehicle can cause to other people is considerable.

(Edit, TMN^2)
I'm not arguing that fact i just think we should practice what we preach. @kingrollo sorry for bringing your thread down, maybe i am just a grumpy old barsteward coz i cant do it either :okay:

MiK1138

Veteran
That is as maybe but the OP didn't ask for advice so that they could do that.
I'm not saying he did, it was merely an observation

Jody

Stubborn git
Get up to speed, sit as up right as possible and then let go for 5 seconds, then increase the length of time. Your bike is stable at speed. Its more of a psychological thing. Iv'e never really thought about it as I have done it from such a young age.

The bike you do it on also has some bearing. My MTB is much more stable no hands even on bumpy rutted tracks/trails than the road bike is on tarmac.

I remember once being lectured about not wearing a helmet by someone riding with no hands. Halfway through -having ensured the road was traffic and pedestrian free) I shouted "LOOK OUT, STOP!" and slammed the brakes on...

It stopped the lecture.

I never learned to ride with no hands either, on the basis I'm quite capable of falling off on a clear road with both hands on the handlebars. I could ask my kids, except that'd be the most embarrassingly naff dad thing I could think of to do...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It is harder on some bikes than others.
I find my so-say stable Thorn tourer quite hard to ride no hands, but my more sporty Condor is easy. No doubt a more skilled person could ride pretty much anything no handed but some are easier than others

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've a heavy Dutch bike I could get completely naked on, jump off doing back-flips down the towpath and vault back on and it would still be going in a straight line (anyone want the Youtube link? Thought not....)
I've a road bike I have to use both arms and pray to keep upright.
Wouldn't dare do it on the good bike, for fear of having to lie to the insurance company.
Used to do it all the time down our street as a lad on the Raleigh Chico, until my father came out of the house and tore me a strip off (there we go again!) in front of my mates. Now every time I think about going hands-free, i remember the old goat shouting, and keep a grip.
I too still dream of being able to slip on a jacket at 20mph, or re-comb a stray lock after a hairy descent.

GuyBoden

Guru
OnCentenialTrail_JonJonkers-2sm.png

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Have you tried taking your hands off a couple of inches and keeping them there within easy reach?

My gut feeling is that's a recipe for disaster unless you're on a real "sit up and beg" bike. I think you need the rider's centre of gravity as near as possible to the bike's centre of gravity. So that means sitting up as straight in the saddle as possible

I can do it, but it needs confidence to sit bolt upright and keep going at a reasonable speed. As soon as you start leaning forward a bit "in case you wobble"....you wobble

Katherine

Guru
It is indeed very satisfying to go over the finish line of a challenging event with your hands in the air!

So...
Practice on a smooth, quiet road or path.

Don't have anything heavy on the handlebars, like lights or bar bag.

It's much easier if you don't have anything else attached to the bike that can affect the balance and steering, like drinks bottles and rear luggage but these can be added once you have mastered the skills.

It's easier to balance if you look ahead rather than what your hands are doing.

As others have said, get a bit of speed up to keep the momentum and it's easier to keep peddling in a high gear so you are doing quite a low steady cadence.

Start with one hand. When you are really confident, riding with one hand, lift the other hand off the bars just a few inches. When you can keep going like this for a while, then gradually try sitting up for longer periods.

Pretend that you are going over the finish line! :bicycle:^_^

MarkF

Guru
Im not very confident doing it but basic principle is sit very upright with center of weight to the back.

Yes, I managed it in the summer after 30 years of "forgetting " how to do it, getting upright quickly with my weight to the rear did the trick, it was just like being a teenager again.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom