Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not a recent ignorance, but still hurts. I didn’t know how ice cube bags worked, and better yet cursed the moron who had designed them.
But it was I who was the moron.

View: https://youtu.be/_Dj0hwUTKE0

Ooohh, me too. I use a tray now though so may never have "that" moment.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
How did they think it shone?
It's glow in the dark cheese innit :rolleyes:

In a similar vein... i was once called an 'absolute fecking idiot' by a grown up, for claiming that a bright star in the sky was the planet Jupiter. Apparently, the planets are too far away to see with the naked eye, which left me wondering what (and where) they thought the stars are. :eek:

It was actually a few years ago I found out but still staggers the mind that 70,000 years ago the solar system had 2 stars not 1. Scholz star passed through our solar system at the outer edges. It's quite possible it had its own number of planets that would have passed through our system too. I also realised then that stars travel fast at speeds it would be very difficult for us to emulate and the stars are moving all the time so the 3 to 4 billion years of life on this planet is more surprising when you think how many other stars passed through the solar system in those billions of years that could have caused collisions and disruptions to orbits.

Also 70,000 years ago the human population was almost wiped out. It's believed it fell to as low as 2,000 people due to super eruptions.

I feel with better mathematical models this will be revisited in the future and made into a more detailed discovery.

I've just remembered now I think about it I think Scholz star is a binary system so there would have been 3 stars in the solar system.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've been driving for more years than I care to remember, but it was only last year someone pointed out to me that the fuel pump symbol on your dashboard has a little arrow to indicate which side of the vehicle the fuel filler is on - DOH!
my kids told me that when they started to learn to drive. Pretty sure my old chevette never had a pointer anyway...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I just told my wife that. She gave me a look and said "of course, I've always known that".
Well that was me 'told' ^_^

It's a good method of orientating T's etc in the dark too.

I wonder how these 'norms' arise?

A bit like zipper 'sides' - my US North Face GTX jacket does my head in being wrong-sided.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I just told my wife that. She gave me a look and said "of course, I've always known that".
Well that was me 'told' ^_^
I think it's something to do with the fact that labels always used to be at the back in the neck, the left side seems to be a relatively new thing since the neck label seems to have died out. I only noticed myself a few months ago and I've been wearing clothes for nearly 60 years. ^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think it's something to do with the fact that labels always used to be at the back in the neck, the left side seems to be a relatively new thing since the neck label seems to have died out. I only noticed myself a few months ago and I've been wearing clothes for nearly 60 years. ^_^
I have plenty of clothes with both a back-of-the-neck label and an inner LH label.

I am feeling rather smug because the LH side label is something i've been aware of all of my adult life. :becool:

Top Bottom