Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A 'yardbird' is a chicken.

When Emma of Normandy married AEthelred the King of England, her name Emma was considered too foreign for the English so they called her AElfgifu instead ^_^
Funnily enough, AEthelred was already married at the time, also to someone called AElfgifu !

Sensible
saves any slip ups in moments of passion

as in "take thee Rachel" - for any fans of Friends!
NOTE - I only know this because I saw the clip on the telly about 4 times last night - no idea why!

presta

Guru
I was in the passenger seat on the way to family on Christmas Eve when there was a strong smell of burning. Had the car somehow caught fire or was there a fire outside? Easy way to find out would be for me to open my window. But it wouldn't work.

I found out why when we eventually arrived. And if the car had been fire, it had gone out by then.

I had a carful of relatives on the way home from Kent when I asked "Can anyone smell burning?". I could, but nobody else did, so I just opened my window. It was a couple of weeks later on the way to work one morning that clouds of smoke started billowing out from behind the dashboard.

presta

Guru
I've just discovered that using "Fuel or Electricity" to heat your property to a temperature of more than 19C is prohibited.
(Fuel and Electricity (Heating) (Control) Order 1974, & Fuel and Electricity (Heating) (Control) (Amendment) Order 1980)
It was 20C, the 1980 amendment reduced it to19C.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've just discovered that using "Fuel or Electricity" to heat your property to a temperature of more than 19C is prohibited.
(Fuel and Electricity (Heating) (Control) Order 1974, & Fuel and Electricity (Heating) (Control) (Amendment) Order 1980)
It was 20C, the 1980 amendment reduced it to19C.
Of course it doesn't apply to private homes.

Alex321

Veteran
Top Bottom