Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had the new car for about 2 months now

ALl that time I have been trying to work out how to open the doors - I can always press the button on the remote
but sometimes I just get to the car and it opens when I pull the handle with the remote in my hand
sometimes not
sometime I have to pull the handle a couple of times
sometimes it wont work unless I stop and press the button on the remote
sometime it opens if I press a little black button on the door handle
sometimes now

I put a message on a car model specic forum on REDDIT and it turns out

I am just impatient
it always open when the remote gets near the door
but it might take a second or two - by which time I had tried 3 different things and was trying to work out which had opened it
when actually it was just time - I had wasted a second pulling the door handle twice by which time it would have opened anyway

Still have no idea what the little black button on the door is for

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
'The Archers' has gone downhill recently. I managed to listen to the end credits today and the scripwriters have been changed.

I kind of drifted away from it about 10-15 years ago. Not long after Nigel fell off the roof. Some time before that I was a real addict. It wasn't a sudden thing, it just sort of faded out of my life.

Is Eddie still in it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sadly they're a very wasteful tech, environment-wise :-/ I've often been offered the use of one at the road-side. I politely decline and reach for my pump.

I bought one on a whim years ago, complete with two cylinders. I never used it at the roadside because I didn't know how to - I'd need to practice at home first. I never practiced at home because I didn't want to waste a cylinder. So eventually it's gone into a junk box.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Never been the same since Grace F.
Once saw the original Tom Forrest open our village fete.

Chris Gittins, who played Walter Gabriel, used to live near where I grew up. My mum knew him.

On mine, the little black button on the handle is what you press to unlock the car without using the remote (which just needs to be in close proximity to the car).

That's what I thought - but if it is near then it is supposed to just unlock

althought what I typed before may be wrong - it failed to unlock this afternoon when I just held it there

sometimes they just make things too damn complicated and automated!

richardfm

Veteran
Empty Hula Hoops packets make good Blue Tooth shield.
I have been playing music to a Blue Tooth speaker from my phone, sipping a pint of homebrew and munching a packet of Hula Hoops.
My phone is sat on the arm of the settee. When I finished the Hula Hoops I put the empty packet down next to the phone. Fairy quickly the music started breaking up, thinking it was a bit of lag from my server where the music is stored I stopped it and started playing Sounds of The 70s from BBC Sounds. Same problem. I changed back to my server as the source and realised the empty packet was right next to the phone and online with the speaker.
The packet is now beside me, away from the phone and the music is playing perfectly.

Top Bottom