Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Empty Hula Hoops packets make good Blue Tooth shield.
I have been playing music to a Blue Tooth speaker from my phone, sipping a pint of homebrew and munching a packet of Hula Hoops.
My phone is sat on the arm of the settee. When I finished the Hula Hoops I put the empty packet down next to the phone. Fairy quickly the music started breaking up, thinking it was a bit of lag from my server where the music is stored I stopped it and started playing Sounds of The 70s from BBC Sounds. Same problem. I changed back to my server as the source and realised the empty packet was right next to the phone and online with the speaker.
The packet is now beside me, away from the phone and the music is playing perfectly.

Where have you been to have missed that little wonder?

Mr Farraday was the smart chap who observed the effect. A bit before mobile phones and Bluetooth.

If you want to go off radar just put your mobile in the bag. Wrapping it in a piece of aluminium foil will have a similar effect.
It's better than switching it off. Sometimes off is not as off as they might want you to believe.
The system will only know where you put your phone in the bag
And of course where you take it out of the bag.

Where have you been to have missed that little wonder?

Mr Farraday was the smart chap who observed the effect. A bit before mobile phones and Bluetooth.

If you want to go off radar just put your mobile in the bag. Wrapping it in a piece of aluminium foil will have a similar effect.
It's better than switching it off. Sometimes off is not as off as they might want you to believe.

Presumably that would also work with car "keys" that have wireless thingy

i.e. the ones where you just have to walk up to the car and it unlocks etc

worth knowing especially if you go camping or similar.
SOmeone I used to know had a car with that and his girlfriend went out to the car to get something but left the keys in the room
When she got there she realised that the car doors were open
turned out that they were staying in a room that overlooked the car park and the car was beloe the room - and he had chucked the keys onto the window ledge
They had the same problem camping

and, of course - there is a problem with car theft using detectors that pick up the signal from outside your door - then repeat it later near the car

but is a hoola hoop packet stops the problem then that is worth knowing

and gives me an excuse for "having to buy a packet of Hoola Hoopa" when we go away

But what if they're tracking the bags? That's established tech now, isn't it? Hmm?!?

But what if they're tracking the bags? That's established tech now, isn't it? Hmm?!?

and "they" can track us all due to the chips in the vaccine!!!!!
but if you know where it is then you can cut Hoola Hoop bag up and staple it around the chip and hide from "them"
probably better than using a specifically designed Faraday bag or box as who knows who controls how it is made!!!!

in other news - The Earth is Flat!!!!

and I have a bridge to sell anyone who agrees with me - currently under storage in Baltimore but nicely folded up for easy transport!!

Gwylan

Veteran
and "they" can track us all due to the chips in the vaccine!!!!!
but if you know where it is then you can cut Hoola Hoop bag up and staple it around the chip and hide from "them"
probably better than using a specifically designed Faraday bag or box as who knows who controls how it is made!!!!

in other news - The Earth is Flat!!!!

and I have a bridge to sell anyone who agrees with me - currently under storage in Baltimore but nicely folded up for easy transport!!

Sorry I already bought the franchise to sell used bridges.
You've probably bought the new Baltimore bridge, that hasn't been built yet.

gbb

Legendary Member
Even at 65, while it's quite basic to many, getting deeper Into Xcel, manipulating spreadsheets, formulas, etc.
Creating quite a big list of spare parts,(hundreds) costings, failure ratings, downtime and ending with a Risk Priority Number to allow you to prioritise what to stock.
Always enjoy anything new, this is no exception

screenman

Legendary Member
Clothing labels/tags are always on the left.

Gwylan

Veteran
Even at 65, while it's quite basic to many, getting deeper Into Xcel, manipulating spreadsheets, formulas, etc.
Creating quite a big list of spare parts,(hundreds) costings, failure ratings, downtime and ending with a Risk Priority Number to allow you to prioritise what to stock.
Always enjoy anything new, this is no exception

Glad to hear it

There are still people who make documents that should be data base stuff.

Just been sent a library library list as a document. Now have to transpose to a database.

Glad to hear it

There are still people who make documents that should be data base stuff.

Just been sent a library library list as a document. Now have to transpose to a database.

Not everyone has access to a decent database so that don;t really know about them

I know I used the word access - but personally I don;t regard Access as a decent database - I have had too many problems with it once it gets complicated!

my wife used to use it professionally as part of her job - but even then it was only single tables mostly - it was the queries she used that made it special
trying to do those things on a spreadsheet would be "interesting"
most people never get that far into it

Fastpedaller

I only found out last week that it's still possible to buy a high-power vacuum cleaner in UK. I believed a few years ago that vacuum cleaners over 900W had been 'banned' from sale. Our old Henry broke (beyond my repair anyway), so I thought we would have to resign ourselves to a feeble replacement......... A trip to Screwfix later, we had a mighty 1300W beast that gives the impression it could pull the tufts out of a carpet! It seems a vacuum cleaner for 'commercial/industrial?' use bypasses the 900W restriction.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The River Lea in East London is sometimes spelt Lee. I thought it was just all a bit random, but that's not the case.

Lea refers to the natural river and natural features, but Lee refers to the canalised section (The Lee Navigation) and man made features.

Top Bottom