Advantage of cycle shoes + clips over trainers /w no clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Continental and Michelin are both manufacturers. Nimbus is the name of a specific tyre made by a manufacturer called Specialized.

Specialized sell just about everything from good quality bikes to clothing, tyres, locks and pumps. They make a full range of tyres with Armadillo puncture protection if were to want a more general purpose tyre:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipTires26_Flat

If you're using toe clips Tom I don't think you'd be disappointed with Power Grips. I think the main advantage is that you don't need to tighten them up. You put your foot in at an angle and straightening your foot pulls the strap tight. You can use them quite loose if you like but I have mine tight. I like to be able to pull up on them at times, for that extra burst of speed or climbing.

Mr Pig

User1314 said:
Didn't even know they existed.

I know. They've been out for years too. Why more shops don't stock them I have no idea.

I had some powergrips and absolutely hated them - never managed to adjust them properly, so just gave up in the end. However, the bikeshop did say that could have something to do with the shape off my pedals (v12 style). Apparently powergrips don't work very well on pedals that are not very square. Made sense, as the straps ran at a very steep diagonal angle on mine which made them virtually impossible to get into...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm not sure whether the City Pilot comes in the sizes you want, but I've seen recommended as a commuting tyre - it is made by Michelin.

Mr Pig

As they get old and the straps get saggy they can be hard to get into. I also don't like the fact that if you're riding out of the straps you either need to stand on the strap and squash it down or have it hanging under the pedal where it might catch on something. Neither is ideal in my opinion but over all I still like them.

snorri

Legendary Member
slugger_2003 said:
I'm only planning on cycling short distances, maximum of 2 miles
I think the purchase of cycle specific footwear would be a waste of money in your case. Clips etc undoubtedly improve performance/efficiency, but is that important on a 2 mile run between home and workplace? Stick with ordinary footwear and pedals and spend the money saved in the pub, you know it makes sense.:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Yes, because very soon he'll want to ride further. And the better equipped he is the more he'll enjoy it.

He wants the bike to travel to work, ie utility cycling, utility cyclists don't want to cycle further!
The more cycle specific clothing that is brought in to play, the more cycling becomes a special event that you dress up for instead of an everyday mode of transport.
:rolleyes:

PrettyboyTim

I'm with Snorri on this one. I can't see that there's any point spending money on new shoes and pedals for a 2 mile journey. Consider also that you'll be stuck with the cycling shoes at the end of your journey, and they aren't as comfortable to walk in as normal shoes.

Mr Pig

snorri said:
The more cycle specific clothing that is brought in to play, the more cycling becomes a special event that you dress up for instead of an everyday mode of transport.

But that's the whole point of the Power Grips, you don't need fancy shoes.

Top Bottom