Adventures in OCD: Today's Chain Waxing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers chaps.

Yes, I suspect this would be a non-issue if I'd only done new chains; while the old ones were cleaned as thoroughly as possible by going through numerous jars of paraffin and being scrubbed with a toothbrush to remove external contamination. Evidently this wasn't sufficient. Besides, given that the contam is all bits of metal, I suspect that most of it has been washed out from between the links of the chains.

Thanks for the thought about the wire platform @Sea of vapours - unfortunately I don't have anything that fancy!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

As an aside I was having a leaf through my cycling spreadsheet today and noticed the wax I bought for this job in 2020 was £8/kg from Hobbycraft - checking again today it's gone up to £12/kg - a 50% hike in three years :ohmy:

Obviously still small fry (especially considering how long it should last / how much money it will save on lube / degreaser / chains / cassettes / chainrings) but a shocking illustration of how rampant inflation is currently..

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, I've only used new chains, that have been degreased and rinsed, I always boil my chain before rewaxing, then it looks cleaner. My wax in the slow cooker pot doesn't get very contaminated by rewaxing the chain.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I gave my chain another wax yesterday, as it was raining.

After over 18 months since new, the chain doesn't indicate any wear, but I didn't ride in winter.

Last edited:
Another update on the waxed chain's wear after about 5,500 km. In summary: not a lot.

In mid-March, after 2,250km, wear was less than 0.08% (see this post above for measured figures). Now, it's less than 0.16% after the 5,500km. I'll be retiring it at 0.5% wear, so that's currently looking like about 15,000km.

The majority of that additional distance has been in dry, or no more than damp, condtions, with something like 4-500km of actual rain and perhaps one third of rides incuding water falling from the sky at some point.

I'm rewaxing it at roughly 300km intervals still, though it's crept up to 450km a couple of times and been as low as 200km when I've been out in proper rain and thought it prudent to re-wax it afterwards. My partner just did LEJOG on a waxed chain and she had no issues. (To be precise: two waxed chains in rotation, both rewaxed at the half way point.)

alex_cycles

Veteran
Another update on the waxed chain's wear after about 5,500 km. In summary: not a lot.

In mid-March, after 2,250km, wear was less than 0.08% (see this post above for measured figures). Now, it's less than 0.16% after the 5,500km. I'll be retiring it at 0.5% wear, so that's currently looking like about 15,000km.

The majority of that additional distance has been in dry, or no more than damp, condtions, with something like 4-500km of actual rain and perhaps one third of rides incuding water falling from the sky at some point.

I'm rewaxing it at roughly 300km intervals still, though it's crept up to 450km a couple of times and been as low as 200km when I've been out in proper rain and thought it prudent to re-wax it afterwards. My partner just did LEJOG on a waxed chain and she had no issues. (To be precise: two waxed chains in rotation, both rewaxed at the half way point.)

Almost a year on for me. Started waxing in August. There's no going back. I had to do some maintenance on a bike I bought for my wife recently and that reminded me how revolting it is to handle an oily chain. During the last 12 months at least 2 people I know have asked for advice about waxing and started waxing their own chains with satisfactory outcomes.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

To temper all this optimism and cheer, having done a few wet rides the once-waxed chain on my Brompton is looking decidely ginger.

When first fitted it seemed to shed more wax than chains on other bikes - maybe because the sides on the rollers were shaving wax off the outside of the chain too; maybe just because these filthy little cycles seem to like to hang onto every bit of contamination they can find..

I'll sling it in the pan today but clearly I need a more viable long term solution; going to plump for a KMC EPT chain (for its magic corrosion-resistant surface treatment) as the one on the Fuji has so far shown promise..

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
To temper all this optimism and cheer, having done a few wet rides the once-waxed chain on my Brompton is looking decidely ginger.

When first fitted it seemed to shed more wax than chains on other bikes - maybe because the sides on the rollers were shaving wax off the outside of the chain too; maybe just because these filthy little cycles seem to like to hang onto every bit of contamination they can find..

Going to sling it in the pan today but clearly I need a more viable long term solution; going to plump for a KMC EPT chain (for its magic corrosion-resistant surface treatment) as the one on the Fuji has so far shown promise..

Now I have an indoor setup, I'm assiduously avoiding wet rides. :laugh:

having done a few wet rides the once-waxed chain on my Brompton is looking decidely ginger.
Are you at the very least wiping the chain down after a wet ride with isopropyl alcohol on a microfibre cloth, to remove water? The outside is essentially bare metal so I'd suggest that you're inevitably going to see corrosion unless you do that. Personally, I tend to re-wax if it's been 'properly wet', but wipe it with IPA if it's just been the odd shower or a bit of road spray. I'm talking 15-30s 'effort' here; nothing arduous.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Now I have an indoor setup, I'm assiduously avoiding wet rides. :laugh:
Lucky you! I've always been a fair weather cyclist, however unfortunately the commute doesn't afford that luxury..

Are you at the very least wiping the chain down after a wet ride with isopropyl alcohol on a microfibre cloth, to remove water? The outside is essentially bare metal so I'd suggest that you're inevitably going to see corrosion unless you do that. Personally, I tend to re-wax if it's been 'properly wet', but wipe it with IPA if it's just been the odd shower or a bit of road spray. I'm talking 15-30s 'effort' here; nothing arduous.
I'm not; but tbh I'm not sure how much this would help. The corrosion is fine / light and only present at the adjacent faces of inner and outer plates at the pins. I assume this is because water is being drawn in through capillary action and remaining there; hence the corrosion.

The EPT chain on the Fuji has shown no such corrosion; however probably hasn't seen the level of saturation that the Brompton has. Also, I'm aware that a coating is only any use while it remains in place and that it will be abraded away if any grit makes its way into the chain.

The chains on my full size bikes always feel very clean when removed; that from the Brompton however did feel a little gritty on its outside surfaces (so was wiped down with an old sock before waxing). I imagine this is largely due to the pretty ineffectual mudguards on the bike as most of the back / lower part of the frame is covered in crap. Something else that needs looking at..

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru

IPA, good idea. ^_^
82acf814ab91d245016ef87e6601b828_1280x1280.jpg

Top Bottom