Advert - Is it my stolen bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dont know if this is any use, for some reason i bookmarked it a while back http://ebay-bicycle-recovery.webs.com/

Wasn't there a serving police officer caught selling stolen bikes on ebay a few years ago.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
DO NOT ring 999. 999 is for emergencies only. This is not an emergency.

Go and see it and confirm that it is yours, act as if you have never seen it before. Tell them you will have a think and then ring the police on their local number. Have something with you that identifies your bike so you can prove to the police it is yours.

Do this ASAP or you bike will be sold to someone else.

Steve

Pauluk

steveindenmark said:
DO NOT ring 999. 999 is for emergencies only. This is not an emergency.

So if you witness a burglary don't ring 999. If you have a way of catching thieves red handed, this is not an emergency.

I don't believe in wasting 999 calls on stupid things but I would ring 999 over this one. Sorry and all that.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So if you witness a burglary don't ring 999. If you have a way of catching thieves red handed, this is not an emergency.

I don't believe in wasting 999 calls on stupid things but I would ring 999 over this one. Sorry and all that.
Comparing a burglary to someone selling stollen goods? not quite on the same level is it...

Pauluk

gaz said:
Comparing a burglary to someone selling stollen goods? not quite on the same level is it...

I think that's a matter of opinion, in my opinion its as bad. How do you think police catch the burglars and as for the people selling the ill gotten gains the're as bad as the burglars in the first place. Get the police onto them before they can move the evidence. Dial 999

Go and see it and confirm that it is yours, act as if you have never seen it before. Tell them you will have a think and then ring the police on their local number. Have something with you that identifies your bike so you can prove to the police it is yours.

Do this ASAP or you bike will be sold to someone else.

Steve

Rather than tell them you'll think about it tell them you want to buy it, agree the price and then tell them you'll need to go and get the cash to pay for it. That makes it much less likely that they'll sell the bike and means they will be expecting you to return to pay for it. So when you do turn up with the police they are there ready and waiting.

Recycler

Another approach to try.

Go and see it. If it is yours, tell them you want it but you would just like to go for a little ride up and down the road.
Then ride off into the sunset.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
In December last year I gave my wife a delicious seasonal cake, with dried fruits, marzipan, icing sugar....

She said "This is gorgeous, it must have cost a fortune".

"Didn't cost me a penny", I said. "It's Stollen".

Sorry.... You can get back to the theme of the thread now.

:laugh:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I would phone police on non emergency number or call in to police station and ask for advice. They may give you a mobile number to ring if it does turn out to be yours. Also by telling the police the serial number before you go look at it you can prove you didnt just write down what ever number happens to be on the frame.

Chances are its not yours anyway but its worth a look.I know I would.

Ok here we go:

1) If you have good grounds to believe its yours without going round, then tell the police and they SHOULD go round and check it for you, and they should do it fast too - burglary is a priority crime. It should be good grounds though I.e. 'it's a Trek the same model and colour' is a bit weak, but 'it's a Gary Fisher, there were only ever 200 sold' is good. Obvious identifying marks would be good too. Use the non emergency number 101 for this.

2) if you decide to check it out first, confirm via frame number it IS yours, and they give you a test ride, then by all means ride away on it. DON'T put yourself in danger though, I wouldn't recommend doing so if they have a facility nearby to chase you (car, bike etc.) If you do do this, pleasd do then call the police straight away to report what you've done - for all you know you could have 'nicked' the bike from an innocent third party who had bought if not knowing it was stolen. You will still be allowed to keep the bike once you have proved its yours, which is easily done by the frame number.

3) If you chose to check if out, confirm it yours and not take it, do call us straight away, and do use 999. It's a crime still in progress (handling), with a danger to property (the bike) that can be prevented, with the offenders on scene.

Lastly, I find it hard to believe officers weren't bothered to view CCTV footage of the offender riding away. I'd suggest making a complaint ic this really was the case. If they viewed it but didn't take it as if was of no evidential value that's different.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Call 101, the new none emergency number. 999 is not just for the Police and argue all you like but finding a stolen bike is not an emergency, important...oh yes as this may be the guy that has been nicking a shoot load of stuff but still not an emergency.

Top Bottom