Advert - Is it my stolen bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCh

Über Member
I have seen a bike advertised that may be my stolen bike, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could find out if it is?
It could be a perfectly legit sale of the same type of bike, but it is a relativley unusual bike, so ideally I would follow it up. I don't necessarily want to get involved in a situation where I go and look at it, tell the guy it is my bike then all hell breaks loose, but I also don't want somone to get away with shifting it on it it is my bike.

Thoughts?

Pauluk

Do you have the serial number of your stolen bike?

Have you reported the theft to the police? If you have and you know your bikes serial number you could always ask them to check it out. Or bob round and ask for a test ride, confirm it is your bike and then get the police to make a visit. Does rather depend on you having reported it and having proof that the bike is/was yours.

Pauluk

If you can prove that its your's then go and have a look, get the serial number off it. You can then tell the seller if he looks reasonable, but don't buy it. If he doesn't look reasonable or won't accept your proof just leave and ring 999 and wait for the police to arrive.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Yes, it was reported a while ago. I've kept my eyes open in the usual places for a similar bike, and have now seen one. I can't see the old bill going round for a look on the off chance that it is my bike - they didn't even bother looking at the CCTV of the guy riding off on my bike when it was stolen FFS!

Pauluk

But if you've located it for them and can demonstrate this by telling them you've been and seen it I think they will respond.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Yep, if I go and see it and then tell them it is mine, I'd be mightily disappointed if they didn't respond. I thought you were suggesting that they go and have a look before I'd confirmed it.

Yep, if I go and see it and then tell them it is mine, I'd be mightily disappointed if they didn't respond. I thought you were suggesting that they go and have a look before I'd confirmed it.
If you have a friendly neighbourhood copper or pcso then they might be willing to go round with you, if you have already reported it as stolen I am sure they have some sort of duty to follow up a positive lead.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not try to arrange to be met by the police after your test ride. Better still would be to be returned to the seller by the police. This assumes that the bike does turn out to be yours.

Wouldn't any buyer want to check the goods before purchase, checking for cracks, dents, anything loose. Should give you a chance to check the number.

Going on what Recycler said, you may not be the only one with a gun. Once went to view a trike, Classic 33, in South Yorkshire. Whilst checking the frame the alarm in my rucksack sounded. It had picked up the signal from the tracking chip on/in the frame. It was mine & he asked his son to get the shotgun to "persuade me" to leave the area before the police arrived.

Recycler

. Once went to view a trike, Classic 33, in South Yorkshire. Whilst checking the frame the alarm in my rucksack sounded. It had picked up the signal from the tracking chip on/in the frame. It was mine & he asked his son to get the shotgun to "persuade me" to leave the area before the police arrived.

Don't leave it in mid air :unsure:....what happened next???

Top Bottom