Advert - Is it my stolen bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

CopperCyclist said:
3) If you chose to check if out, confirm it yours and not take it, do call us straight away, and do use 999. It's a crime still in progress (handling), with a danger to property (the bike) that can be prevented, with the offenders on scene.

Sounds like a sensible approach.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Ok here we go:

3) If you chose to check if out, confirm it yours and not take it, do call us straight away, and do use 999. It's a crime still in progress (handling), with a danger to property (the bike) that can be prevented, with the offenders on scene.

I bow to your superior knowledge!

Pauluk

NothatJasonKenny said:
I bow to your superior knowledge!
I suppose the problem people have is that they always hear about over worked emergency services and people calling 999 for the most ridiculous things, but IMO burglary and handling stolen goods is a serious crime for us all.

Where do you draw the line. Are we going to wait until we see someone with a gun or a knife. I believe its a slippery slope when people are concerned about using 999 over a crime especially when you can help them catch the criminals in the act.

I kid you not, I saw something once that looked a bit odd, I couldn't put my finger on it exactly but I took the car number plate and called 999. It transpired that the persons involved had abducted a young girl in a stolen vehicle, but because I had bothered not to hesitate they were caught about 20 minutes later driving out of the town where I lived.

I got a fridge magnet from my local police that said something like:

"My house is being burgled - Call 999

My house has been burgled - Call 101"

So the gist is not the seriousness of the crime, but whether it is in progress. As CopperCyclist says above, this is a crime in progress, so 999 would be the go.

(oh, and 101 calls are a fixed price - 20p I think - from any phone)

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Thanks for all the valuable input. I'm trying to contact the seller to go and view the bike, so will let you know how I get on. CopperCyclist, I'm surprised that riding off is ok to do, although I do like the idea of riding off into the sunset, but if it was me, I'd want something left as security before I let anyone go off for a test ride. It would leave a very smug feeling to simply leave the seller high and dry, but then so would watching the police turn up at the door of the seller.
As I said, maybe it is all legit, but I have only ever seen one other bike like this on the road, so it is relatively rare...

Oh, and as for the CCTV footage, the police said because they couldn't see the crime being committed, and the thief had a hoodie on, it wasn't much use looking at the CCTV. I told them over the phone that I saw the thief walking in to the car park where my bike was, then 2 minutes later riding off on my bike. The camera didn't cover the place where the bike was parked, so I couldn't see him take the bike, but I would have thought that watching him ride off on my bike was pretty good evidence. To be fair, it would have been difficult to identify him with his hood up. I think it is a feature of police work in this country now that they won't/can't spend time on this sort of thing when the chance of conviction is low and the level of bureaucracy is high.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I think that's a matter of opinion, in my opinion its as bad. How do you think police catch the burglars and as for the people selling the ill gotten gains the're as bad as the burglars in the first place. Get the police onto them before they can move the evidence. Dial 999
I think Gaz meant that there is a world of difference between a burglary in progress and some scrote selling a nicked bike.

Flyingfox

So if you witness a burglary don't ring 999. If you have a way of catching thieves red handed, this is not an emergency.

I don't believe in wasting 999 calls on stupid things but I would ring 999 over this one. Sorry and all that.

IT'S NOT AN EMERGENCY - ring the non-emergency number of 101. By the way the same thing happened to me (and yes, it was a burglary, I called 101 and they came within an hour) and the police told me not to contact the seller, but by the time the police did the guy had sold my bike on. If it happened again I would arrange to see the bike and then tell the police what I am doing and perhaps they would like to accompany me to ensure I don't come to any harm!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
IT'S NOT AN EMERGENCY - ring the non-emergency number of 101. By the way the same thing happened to me (and yes, it was a burglary, I called 101 and they came within an hour) and the police told me not to contact the seller, but by the time the police did the guy had sold my bike on. If it happened again I would arrange to see the bike and then tell the police what I am doing and perhaps they would like to accompany me to ensure I don't come to any harm!

But the copper_cyclists on here doesn't agree with your first point and I'd guess he knows his apples ?

Adding a note of caution here, as a former resident of a rough inner city....

If the bicycle was taken from your property, be wary of showing your face as a prospective buyer.

Anyone who knew the bike was there and knew when they'd have access to it may have a very good idea what you look like.

If it wasn't, the above doesn't apply.

As a side note, it's amusing to see such an array of slightly conflicting advice on this thread.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
The bike wasn't taken from my home, so I doubt they would know what I look like. I would also doubt it is the original thief who is selling the bike on now. Maybe I should be extra careful though, so my list of things to take along with me is now:

- My frame number
- Phone ready to dial 101 or 999
- Route map for most effective getaway
- Fake beard
- and if all else fails, AK47 for awkward confrontation resolution

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
The bike wasn't taken from my home, so I doubt they would know what I look like. I would also doubt it is the original thief who is selling the bike on now. Maybe I should be extra careful though, so my list of things to take along with me is now:

- My frame number
- Phone ready to dial 101 or 999
- Route map for most effective getaway
- Fake beard
- and if all else fails, AK47 for awkward confrontation resolution

Add take someone else with you to that list, and as roadrash says the bigger the better dont even think about going alone.

Top Bottom