Advice for a heavy guy, also an introduction.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnockerDolt

Regular
Hi, first time posting here and hopefully not the last. I've decided to take the plunge and buy my first bike since I was about 12. The bike I got was the Carrera Crossfire 1 which is a hybrid.
Admittedly I kinda got it on a whim and I'm starting to regret it as I don't think it'll be able to take my weight. My friend suggested getting better tyres if I have any problems. I haven't got it yet but I should get it tomorrow (ordered off the internet). Is there any other suggestions you can give me?
By the way i'm about 6'2" and about 340lbs (yeah, I got the bike to loose weight. Hopefully it should work well with my diet).

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
take it at your own pace and build up when you feel comfortable. i started riding at about 260 lbs and have lost 40 ish so far, i had an old apollo CX10 and to be fair bikes are generally good as long as you dont hit big potholes or bunnyhop down kerbs!

there is a member here who has lost one hell of a lot of weight through cycling, cant remember his name but im sure someone will pop up with it in a bit!

as an afterthough enjoy it! it will give you the motivation to go further than you ever thought possible!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
take it at your own pace and build up when you feel comfortable. i started riding at about 260 lbs and have lost 40 ish so far, i had an old apollo CX10 and to be fair bikes are generally good as long as you dont hit big potholes or bunnyhop down kerbs!

there is a member here who has lost one hell of a lot of weight through cycling, cant remember his name but im sure someone will pop up with it in a bit!

as an afterthough enjoy it! it will give you the motivation to go further than you ever thought possible!
gb155

gary in derby

Hardest part, done. just look after your steed and it will look after you. good luck and enjoy. also a fat bloke in lycra. but not for long.
:welcome: to the nut house

Biglad82

Mate Im in the same boat I'm 6'3 and 294lbs (big boned ya see ;) ) and I too had/ have this problem a couple of month back I ended up with a Carrere Subway LE and after first initial thoughts about its weight bearing capability I can gladly say its a pleasure to ride and the fears of "wheels folding In half and snapping the frame In half or even worse the saddle post entering your body while been un greased" soon went through the window. Don't buy cheap and trust your equipment or you'll never get over the "its going to break " thoughts. Good luck mate and i'll be keeping tabs on this one . Mark

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :smile: You'll be burning it off in no time.

As another bigger guy riding a bike (once was about 315 lbs), the only issue i had compared to my 150 lb friends was needing a bit more pressure in the tyre combined with more weight made me a bit puncture prone and so bought some Marathon+ tyres. Youll wear moving parts out a bit faster too, my friends are riding theirs as new and with not much more mileage ive replaced chain, cassette, pedals and have a fair bit more tyre wear but Ive never doubted the bike holding my weight. :smile: I think its a good idea to check your bike over once in a while though, like checking tyre pressures, spokes arent loose, bits of the bike dont move in directions they shouldnt - wheels, cranks etc. Good luck! :smile:

Top Bottom