Advice for a potential London commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adampom

Hi all,

So I only recently taught myself (as a 24 year old) to ride a bike! But I like, so now I thought I'd get better and commute!

Problem is it's a 12 ish mile journey to work, from Southgate in North London to Kensington in West London.

It would include Hampstead Heath, Regents Park and Hyde Park, as well as a fair few roads.

Now is this feasible? How long will a 12 mile ride take once I'm used to it?

Cheers in advance all.

thomas

the tank engine
User3143 said:
Yes, hour and a half.

I know he's only started cycling but that sounds like a lot...I'd of though an average of 12mph wouldn't be unrealistic?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm with Lee on this one. Allowing for about 8mph across London for a first time commuter is pretty good advice. Green Lanes and Seven Sisters Road have a bunch of traffic lights and take getting used to.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yep, i'm with Lee also, judging on the mph some of my friends who are new to biking ride at, plus not used to handling traffic etc.

Adam, have you got someone who can ride your "commute" with you at the weekend to try it out? they could give you tips on how to handle traffic/road junctions etc and give you a bit of confidence.

invest in a copy of Cycle Craft.

From what I've seen of London commuters, give yourself plenty of time. Rushing won't leave you any time to expect the unexpected. Some of the roads are insanely busy. I'm glad the streets of Derby aren't like it, anyway!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Sounds wrong, but it can be easier and safer if you stick to the main roads. They are wider, have better visibility, and are often bus lanes...

Sticking to quiet side streets can be more dangerous and there are loads more blind corners and people using them as rat runs...

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
zimzum42 said:
Sounds wrong, but it can be easier and safer if you stick to the main roads. They are wider, have better visibility, and are often bus lanes...

Sticking to quiet side streets can be more dangerous and there are loads more blind corners and people using them as rat runs...

and speed humps :angry:

ChrisKH

Guru
If you haven't already done so, consider getting some Bikeability training and read Cycle Craft - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242641517&sr=8-1

A dry run of a weekend to your place of work might not be a bad idea. Certain organisations (LCC, I think) give one to one training and will accompany you to/from work on the first commute or at weekends. You pay, but it's relatively cheap and worth it.

thomas

the tank engine
dellzeqq said:
I'm with Lee on this one. Allowing for about 8mph across London for a first time commuter is pretty good advice. Green Lanes and Seven Sisters Road have a bunch of traffic lights and take getting used to.

really? jeeezzzz, I'd get so frustrated. For a first time though, it's better to take things slowly and carefully though!

Cyclecraft is probably a nice idea for a beginner - I've only read parts but it seems to have some good advice, which saves having to learn stuff the hard way.

skrx

12mph across the centre of London is reasonable. Remember the average speed of a car is 7mph!

Usually it's stop-start-stop-start, if you want an average above 15mph you need to be working hard between the lights.

joolsybools

For a beginner aiming for 12mph may be hard in London and 12 miles each way sounds a lot for a newbie. Try a weekend reccy and then maybe go once in the first week, twice in the second and so on (or split your commute so cycle in on Monday and back on Tuesday or Wednesday etc) while you get used to it. Just go at your own pace and make sure you look and listen and obey the rules of the road. You can aim to get faster once you are used to your route and the behaviour of other road (and cycle path) users.

Good luck and most importantly enjoy!

MARKE020272

Not knowing your fitness levels, but 1 1/2 hours seems quite long for 12 miles when you are going through some parks. Aim to give yourself some extra time to start with , but after a month I reckon you will be doing this in 45mins. I currently go from Eltham to London Bridge (about 9 miles) in just under 30 mins, through busy traffic.

A few tips though:

1) Use Bus lanes, it's not buses you need to worry about. It's the taxis!!. They'll get as close as they possibly can without killing you.

2) Stop at red lights, just cycle faster between them.

3) If it's raining, don't use it as an excuse to get the train home.

4) Be bold. Be confident. Cycling in London isn't that bad, just takes a bit of practice.

Good luck

Radius

SHREDDER
MARKE020272 said:
4) Be bold. Be confident. Cycling in London isn't that bad, just takes a bit of practice.

This is what I was going to say. It is what I think is the key element to cycling in traffic, especially London where I have most of my experience of it. Naturally there's no point in being bold if you're doing the wrong thing, so at the very least go out with someone in London, maybe whilst testing your route, who is an experienced and safe cyclist (although how you qualify that I don't know), and ask them to advise you (often best if they ride behind).

Aside from that, cycle training is a very good idea, and at least you (probably) know you'll be being instructed properly.

It's the one's who wobble along in the gutter with sudden changes of direction, trying to inch their way between a bus and the 2 foot high kerb on the other side that you don't want to emulate.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
all good advice - especially on using main roads. A weekend recce is good, and if you ask your local LCC branch, or even here, you may get a 'cycling' buddy to go in with you for a couple of days.

Top Bottom