Advice for Commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I saw this in Beginners and thought it would make a good sticky here

jimscullion said:
I've commuted for years in all sorts of traffic conditions, including several years of cycling right through Glasgow city centre in the rush hour. FWIW my advice would be:

1. Absolutely read and learn from Cyclecraft. It's invaluable.
2. Aim to be an assertive rather than an aggressive rider. Being vigilant, visible and predictable in traffic are all good.
3. Don't approach your commute as if you're either going to war or entering a bike race. It should be invigorating and fun.
4. Give and take goes a long way. Be forgiving of other people's lapses and mistakes. Chances are you'll make a few yourself!

Most of all, enjoy the experience of gaining experience.

:ohmy:

Feel free to add more...

adscrim

Veteran
Keep spare underwear, socks and a hand towel at work - they can be hidden in a desk drawer easy enough. It's amazing the number of times I have arrived at work only to realise I have forgotten one or all of these.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There is no law of physics or the land that says cyclists have to get to the front at traffic lights. It's often easier and safer to slot into a gap 2-3 cars back.

Under no circumstances filter up the inside of a truck or bus.

It's often safer to filter up the outside of traffic than the inside.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ben Lovejoy said:
There is no law of physics or the land that says cyclists have to get to the front at traffic lights. It's often easier and safer to slot into a gap 2-3 cars back.

Under no circumstances filter up the inside of a truck or bus.

It's often safer to filter up the outside of traffic than the inside.
quoted for truth.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HJ said:
I saw this in Beginners and thought it would make a good sticky here

Feel free to add more...

.5 remember that not every ride is a good one, but for every bad experience there will be at least 3 that will make you smile...so keep at it

Number 4 is good and very true.

Top Bottom