Advice for dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Got a new one.... when walking the dog don't ride your bike. If you're holding the lead the dog may choose to run across the road to chase the cat it's just seen & you've got no choice but to follow even if the bike won't turn quick enough. This will may well result in you being dragged half way across the road before the lead/collar brakes & it looked rather painful!:laugh:

simonali

Guru
Only real time I share a path with cyclists whilst walking the pooches is along the canal towpath. I'll always grab collars when possible if I see cyclists approaching, but that isn't possible if they tear up from behind me without a bell or "excuse me" as a warning. This seems to be the norm, I'm sad to say.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Advice for dog walkers when using a shared use path:

[1] before venturing out, unravel from your vest a length of string which is just long enough to reach from you to the dog. Tie it around the bit of the dog which connects the head to the body and tie the other end to yourself.

[2] Pick up anything which falls out of your dog and put it safely in your pocket.

[3] When a cyclist is forced to stop because your mutt is outwith the sphere of your influence do not merely smile inanely as if to imply that it is as adorable to everyone else as it is to you.

[4]....

Stick with the day job and increase the meds!

Debian

simonali said:
Only real time I share a path with cyclists whilst walking the pooches is along the canal towpath. I'll always grab collars when possible if I see cyclists approaching, but that isn't possible if they tear up from behind me without a bell or "excuse me" as a warning. This seems to be the norm, I'm sad to say.

I find that this is an awkward area and I'm never sure what to do. I never "tear up" to people from front or back when I'm on the bike, I always slow up and expect the unexpected but these are the dilemmas I face:

1. When cycling up to someone from behind I always used to ring the bell but I found that a lot of people objected to this, they seem to think my bell means "get out of my way" and more often than not I'd get glares and / or comments. I tried saying excuse me please instead but that got the same reaction. Not everybody reacted adversely admittedly but enough to make me reappraise.

Now I hang back and try to make some other noise (no rude comments please! :smile: ), I'll click my gears, or ride over a patch of gravel or something similar, in other words make some sort of sound that can't be interpreted as "get out of my way". But this doesn't always work either, some just don't hear, or maybe pretend not to hear.

Still others have ipods or phones glued to their ears and no matter what I do they don't hear me - this is an increasing problem along with those who are so engrossed in texting whilst walking that they're totally oblivious to anything around them. In the latter case I can even be approaching someone from the front and they don't notice me until I'm about 2 feet away when they jump out of their skin and react as though I just teleported there, this is mainly teenagers and schoolkids.

So it's not a clear-cut situation. I know from my rides that there are a lot of people who, if asked, would say that I appeared out of nowhere and startled them whereas in reality I didn't.

2) I know I'll get jumped on for this but why do dog walkers on narrow shared paths think it's OK for the dog to be loose anyway?

When I were a lad it was de rigeur that your dog was on a lead (and a short one at that) when on any sort of path or road and they were only let loose in a field or park etc. So why now has it changed so that it's OK for dogs to wander at will on paths? Surely it's only common sense to keep it on a short lead when you're sharing a 3 foot wide path with other walkers, children and cyclists? Getting along together implies consideration and compromise all round doesn't it?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Debian said:
2) I know I'll get jumped on for this but why do dog walkers on narrow shared paths think it's OK for the dog to be loose anyway?

Why not? As long as your dog stays close and has good recall, what's the problem. I only put Els on lead or make her sit when we are passing other people, whether they are walking, cycling, jogging, fishing or whatever.

If the coast is clear, I can't see a reason for her to be on lead.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Debian said:

As a dog owner I would agree. Mine would always be on a short lead in this instance. She would only be let off in the fields and then whenever I see anyone I would always put her back on her lead.

Debian

snapper_37 said:
Why not? As long as your dog stays close and has good recall, what's the problem. I only put Els on lead or make her sit when we are passing other people, whether they are walking, cycling, jogging, fishing or whatever.

If the coast is clear, I can't see a reason for her to be on lead.

OK, so if you're on a canal towpath say, and there's a fairly constant flow of people such as is normal in my locale at certain times your dog is always on a lead?

Debian

4F said:
As a dog owner I would agree. Mine would always be on a short lead in this instance. She would only be let off in the fields and then whenever I see anyone I would always put her back on her lead.

And that's what I think should be the norm but it isn't. On my local towpaths there are many more dogs off than on leads, even at busy times.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Debian said:
OK, so if you're on a canal towpath say, and there's a fairly constant flow of people such as is normal in my locale at certain times your dog is always on a lead?

Yes she would be. The canal I frequent is surprisingly quiet to be honest (see photo taken last Sat - this is typical). So quiet that I don't make a habit of walking it on my own. Maybe it's because I go after 6pm. I try to go with my mate and his dog and they are both off the lead for 95% of the time.

So yes, I agree with you, if there were always people about.

One thing I will say, for the benefit of Debian and others for whom dogs appear to be anathema (indeed I am no lover of dogs, myself) - beware if you cycle on rural roads in France! In that country, farm dogs are far more likely to run out into the road and challenge you, than in the UK (indeed we have here laws to stop that sort of thing). They often seem to be completely unrestrained. Indeed, I have found that it is often unwise to approach at speed a farm or dwelling beside a narrow country lane.

Having said that, the old cliché "all bark and no bite" seems to hold good over there, most of the time. I have often been challenged by dogs in France but never attacked or bitten - yet! Still, it is a nuisance and a danger. Learning to address the dog calmly and firmly - in French - is a help.

Norm

simonali said:
....that isn't possible if they tear up from behind me without a bell or "excuse me" as a warning. This seems to be the norm, I'm sad to say.
I don't think it was me but sorry if it was. ;)

Debian said:
And that's what I think should be the norm but it isn't. On my local towpaths there are many more dogs off than on leads, even at busy times.
Now, that is more likely to be me. :laugh: Our dog is always on the lead if other people are around. Fortunately, we have a lot of land I can walk him knowing that there will not be anyone else around but, if we're walking footpaths, he's on an extending lead if we're in the open or on the beach and a short lead if we're walking a narrower track such as a pavement.

I know that I have excellent recall on my dog but he's still a dog. I have no idea what noise or smell will set off his hunting / tracking instinct and, with any animal, there is no guarantee that you will get them back every time.

IMO.

Top Bottom