Advice for dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
on the road said:
Then the law obviously failed you, if a dog bites someone then it has to be put down by law.
No, I don't think that's true. A court has to decide. Certainly after I was bitten whilst cycling, the offending dog got off scot-free (I think). ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
661-Pete said:
OT, but a 'doggy' story. Last Sunday, we were walking on top of Wolstonbury Hill, a man with a dog passed us. Hmmmm.... looks a bit like a pit bull, thinks I, but probably a Staffie. No matter. Middle-aged and healthy looking dog AFAICT - certainly not grey-muzzled. Well, this bloke pauses a bit higher up, ties his dog to a post, and sets to jogging about a 400-yard circuit round a dell on the hillside. Returning to Staffy, unties it and continues on his walk.

Odd, we think. Don't dogs like running as much as humans? And don't dogs need exercise? Why does he deprive it of that bit of extra work-out? Or is it that Staffies don't run? Or maybe it was a pitbull, and he was worried about it getting a bit excited...

Anyway, we though this was strange.

Having attempted to jog with our Labrador next to me on a lead I am not surprised. Our daft mutt darts from side to side just in front and last time I very nearly went arse over her. ;):smile:

Debian

1. Dogs should always and without exception be under control whilst in a public place of any description. This means that if the owner cannot guarantee that the dog will come to heel immediately on being ordered to do so then it must be on a lead, no excuses.

2. Owners walking dogs on any sort of shared use facility, be it bridleway, RB, BOAT, cycle track, shared use path should keep their dog at all times on a short lead, not one of those 30 foot long extendable ones. After all, would you let your dog walk untethered alongside the A1? No?, then don't do so on any other right of way.

3. A dog, any dog is unpredictable. My OH has been attacked and bitten twice, I have been attacked and bitten also. I do not therefore appreciate uncontrolled dogs being allowed to run up to me and act as though they might decide to go for me, or jump up at me. I'm nervous of them to start with. This applies whether I'm walking or on a bike.

4. I do not at all appreciate being sniffed at or licked by any dog.

5. No, it's not "... ok, he won't hurt you"! You don't know that, I don't know that, my children don't know that. See point 1 above. Any dog that looks like it might possibly be aggressive around me or mine is liable to receive a swift and hard kick. I know it's not the dog's fault but it is the dog that's threatening me.

Debian: I have every sympathy and understanding for people who are afraid of dogs but what you think should happen, what the law requires and what is reasonable are three entirely different things.

on the road

Über Member
Debian said:
Any dog that looks like it might possibly be aggressive around me or mine is liable to receive a swift and hard kick. I know it's not the dog's fault but it is the dog that's threatening me.
That's not something I would risk doing to an aggressive looking dog, if the dog is aggressive then that's the last thing you would want to do. Maybe that's why you and your OH often get bitten by dogs.

Debian

Crackle said:
Debian: I have every sympathy and understanding for people who are afraid of dogs but what you think should happen, what the law requires and what is reasonable are three entirely different things.

The law requires that dogs are kept under control at all times.

Debian

on the road said:
That's not something I would risk doing to an aggressive looking dog, if the dog is aggressive then that's the last thing you would want to do. Maybe that's why you and your OH often get bitten by dogs.

You're applying inverse and spurious logic. I never had a problem with dogs until the incidents that I allude to.

And I potentially agree with what you say, and it's never happened that I've had to lash out - yet. But if I felt the need then I would, without hesitation.

Mark_Robson

How's about live and let live? If you see a dog off the lead on a cycle path then slow down and pass carefully. I always cycle defensively when there are pedestrians or dogs around and it works for me.
I did most of today's cycling on cycle paths and TBH I saw more cyclists acting like pricks than dog owners being irresponsible. When will some people realise that a bike hurtling towards you on a narrow cycle path can be very unnerving for other users. What's wrong with slowing down, making eye contact and saying hello to people?

I love dogs, but I always pick up after them when walking, I wish others would do the same. It sucks riding home from work, and seeing a pile of doggy pooh in the middle of your path. Especally since I only ride on the road or "Bike Path".

Norm

The usual Normie Riposte's were noticeable in their absence today after a pair of old twats decided to walk on the left of the path and have their dog walk on the right. Far from the usual witty repartee, I called him a "Cantankerous old self-gratification artist" as I cycled off.

Debian

Crackle said:
Yes but that doesn't correspond with your list.

The law also makes requirement for an animals welfare.

Ah, yes, this'll be the one that irresponsible dog owners always throw into the ring as an excuse... "I can't keep my dog on a lead and under control because if I did I could be prosecuted under Sec 9 of the Animal Welfare Act....". It's nonsense. A dog owner has to comply with Sec 2 of the Dogs Act (as amended), Sec 27 of the RTA, and various other assorted bits of law - if the owner can't do that as well as complying with the Animal Welfare Act then they shouldn't be owning a dog.

A dog off a lead is not, not under control. There is no requirement for a dog to be on a lead in a public place unless a byelaw forbids it. Nor is someone walking their dog off a lead an irresponsible dog owner. A dog off a lead does not contravene any of the bits of law you've quoted, whether it's sensible, desirable or reasonable is another matter. Clearly, what the law says and what is reasonable are two different things.

I picked you up on the list you made because it struck me as unreasonable and in fact impractical. I can fully understand how you'd feel like that if you've had some bad experiences but I don't think one persons bad experiences makes good guidance for others.

Control is another matter. Provided your dog obeys commands, he's under control. The fact that he may not do it with military precision doesn't mean he's out of control, he is after all an animal.

In the end I doubt we'll agree in a forum debate. You've probably got a very different picture of examples in your head than me. I'm pretty lucky were I live, most dog owners are responsible with very few, in fact none I can think of, dangerous dogs. I might have a very different view if I lived elsewhere.

Top Bottom