Advice for dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Debian said:
Any dog that looks like it might possibly be aggressive around me or mine is liable to receive a swift and hard kick. I know it's not the dog's fault but it is the dog that's threatening me.
Sounds like you're more aggressive and unpredictable than the dog is. Perhaps you should be on the lead

MichaelM

Guru
Debian said:
The law requires that dogs are kept under control at all times.

Are you absolutely sure that? I think you'll find that what the law says is that it is an offence to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place.

You being afraid of dogs does not mean a dog is dangerously out of control.

Having said that, a little bit of courtesy, putting the dog to heel/down goes a long way.

Debian

MichaelM said:
Are you absolutely sure that? I think you'll find that what the law says is that it is an offence to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place.

You being afraid of dogs does not mean a dog is dangerously out of control.

Having said that, a little bit of courtesy, putting the dog to heel/down goes a long way.

No.

There's a subtle difference in the wording which is that "...a dog is dangerous, and not kept under proper control...", which is not the same as "dangerously out of control".

The act applies whether in a public or private place.

Also, the law clearly states that dogs must be kept on a lead if on a designated road (which can be a road, UCR, UUCR, RB, BOAT or bridleway).

Debian said:

There's no law requiring dogs on a lead unless a local authority makes one using section 27 of the road traffic act. Local authorities can also create byelaws requiring dogs on leads, normally aimed at specific areas. You can read the act or acts relating to dogs but there's quite a succinct article here which pretty much puts all of them in layman's terms.

Debian

Crackle said:
There's no law requiring dogs on a lead unless a local authority makes one using section 27 of the road traffic act. Local authorities can also create byelaws requiring dogs on leads, normally aimed at specific areas. You can read the act or acts relating to dogs but there's quite a succinct article here which pretty much puts all of them in layman's terms.

That's why I stated on designated roads.

Most LA's have quite a list of such roads and any resident has the right to ask the LA to so designate any stretch of highway if loose dogs are a nuisance.

Also the Dogs Act requires that any dog be under proper control at all times on public or private property. Proper control means not jumping up at or chasing after other people.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Debian, I understand your concerns. Since my dog was attacked by another dog a few weeks ago, I became very nervous taking her out, especially off the lead. I now take a stick with me should another dog do the same.

However, this was a provoked attack where the 'owners' and I use that term very loosely, thought it would be fun to set their staffie on mine.

I must have lived a very sheltered life because I have never had a random dog, off the lead, chase or indimidate me in anyway, aggressive or not. The majority of dog owners take control very seriously but like Crackle pointed out, military precision is not always possible, especially if the dog is concentrating on a squirrel/bird/scent.

IME, a good dog, a controlled dog, will not bother going anywhere near a stranger, unless the owner brings the stranger into the the social group, ie stopping for a gossip.

The root of these type of debates is always the same - there are good and bad dog owners. I wish the bad could be wiped off the face of the earth, but alas, that's not to be. I would like to see stricter laws in regard to dog ownership but I'm not sure how these could or would be policed.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I think it's a bit like religion inasmuch as I just 'don't get' dog ownership/ religion and I dispise the way we 'non-believers' are painted as haters when we question some aspect or another. Removing your dog from the possible danger of a collision with a cyclist seems to me to be fundamental to the aim protecting the dog's interests whether that's achieved by simply avoiding areas where cyclists congregate, the use of a restraint or trained obedience.

It we were talking about a dog owner walking their dog in a busy road we'd obviously think it strange. The dog owner is every bit as entiltled to use the road as they are a shared use cycle path. Can you imagine cars and trucks screeching to a good natured halt and waving cheerfully whilst the unleashed dog sniffs around their wheels? No. Why is this? Is it because cars have more 'right of way', or are more important than cyclists? Or is it because it's grossly irresponsible to put an aminal in harm's way. It's about the danger, and because cyclists pose less danger because we know they are going to stop it's somehow acceptable to allow an animal's desire to wander about aimlessly to take priority over a human going about their business.

Mark_Robson

I think that the police would intervene if a dog owner were to take their pet for a walk down the middle of a busy road whereas they would have no complaint if the dog owner was using a bridleway.
I understand your point Mickle but the reality of the situation is that these paths are there for everyone to use. It isn't just dog owners who cause an obstruction to cyclists, its horseriders, people pushing buggies, ramblers taking up the whole path and families with children wondering all over. And the reason that these paths are so polular with everyone is that they are perceived to be free from dangers associated with roads. That's why people let their dogs off the leads and allow their children to run around freely.
To them cyclists are the problem because they come barrelling past and don't slow down for them.
The problem isn't going to go away because dog owners are going to continue to exercise their right to exercise their dogs so I'm afraid that everyone is just going to have to compromise and learn to respect each other, and TBF I see that all the time. Most people will bring their dog to heel when they see cyclists approaching. It seems that it's the little yappy things with big dog syndrome that make the most noise and create the greatest nuisance but they are all bark and no bite.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Mark_Robson said:
It seems that it's the little yappy things with big dog syndrome that make the most noise and create the greatest nuisance but they are all bark and no bite.

+ 1. Aint that the truth. Rotty in Yorky clothing. ;)

Top Bottom