Advice for Heavy Rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zorro

Veteran
I am 115kg (18 stone) 6foot5 and ride daily.

I am looking to buy my next road bike and have finally succumb to the fact I am not suited to ride an ultra light carbon racing bike and have been looking at going TITANIUM. Can you lovely, wise and friendly people please offer your advice on how I should spend my hard earned cash?

Here are my main concerns/queries

- Is Titanium really as good to ride as I have heard? Should I be looking at cheaper steel or is some Carbon suited for heavy chaps these days?
- Which brands should I be looking at and which should II avoid?

This is my wish list for the new bike

- Must be sturdy (to hold my weight) and comfortable while still being sporty and responsive
- Will be used for commuting (34 miles per day) sportives and longer rides
- Keen to have disk brakes but don't have any preference over Shimano/Campag/SRAM etc though

A bit about me and my riding. I have been riding a Specialized Allez since 2007 (Aluminium) and have managed to break 2 frames (failing due to my weight). Specialized have replaced them but I am now keen to get a bike I can rely on forever! I commute London roads which are pretty bumpy and my Ali frame is a pretty harsh ride. I love long rides and have done London to Monte Carlo and John O'Groats to Lands End, with the Dragon Ride this year my next test. As I get older I am more keen on comfort and if I am going to splash the cash I want to make sure I get the right bike.
P.S. before I have suggestions to lay off the pies ;) to solve the problem, I am trim and fit but just very tall! e.g. I can't fit in most airplane seats without putting my knees in my ears!

Cheers, I really hope someone can help

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a little heavier than you and have never managed to break a frame. I do ride very light on the contact points though.

That said, I do take a bit of care with frame sizing to ensure I'm not riding around with a daft amount of exposed seat post. I also run 400mm seaT posts in all my bikes to spread the load and reduce the leverage at the vulnerable top tube/seat tube join.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If your going to splash the cash on a bike to last have you considered a custom built frame either steel or Ti ?

Out of interest where did the 2 frames break and was there an obvious incident such as hitting a pothole ?

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
If your going to splash the cash on a bike to last have you considered a custom built frame either steel or Ti ?

Out of interest where did the 2 frames break and was there an obvious incident such as hitting a pothole ?

I haven't thought of a custom build. Would that be a lot more than a production frame or something reasonable 10% extra or similar?

Re the frame failures - first frame went at the weld between the chain stay and bottom bracket and the second frame went at the weld between the head tube and down tube. Neither was from a crash or specific pothole; just developed over lots of usage I guess. The third Specialized frame I was sent by the company was an upgrade to and Allez Elite so perhaps it was just the entry level Allez are poor quality frames?

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
I'm a little heavier than you and have never managed to break a frame. I do ride very light on the contact points though.

That said, I do take a bit of care with frame sizing to ensure I'm not riding around with a daft amount of exposed seat post. I also run 400mm seaT posts in all my bikes to spread the load and reduce the leverage at the vulnerable top tube/seat tube join.

After responding to BANJO I have realized that i am probably pretty rough with my riding style, I do like to thrash off at traffic lights, stomp through my pedals and break hard on the corners. Don't think I will be able to change my style too much

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Carbon fibre is stronger than aluminium alloy. Being moulded there are no joints or welds to form stress points. I wouldn't be surprised if the Allez elite frame is the same frame as the standard allez frame just with higher grade components on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
OK, riding style is your choice, fair play.

However, one of your frame breaks is at the common point for heavy riders and/or those with excessive seat post exposed, so what ever bike you end up with be real careful about frame sizing and buy the longest seat post you can find ( most sizes can be had in 400mm).

Good luck.

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
Carbon fibre is stronger than aluminium alloy. Being moulded there are no joints or welds to form stress points. I wouldn't be surprised if the Allez elite frame is the same frame as the standard allez frame just with higher grade components on it.

Thanks Banjo - With Carbon do you think I could find a bike which will be as sturdy and durable as the Titanium? I get the feeling that a good carbon and Titanium frame will come in at roughly the same price.

Have any of you ridden Titanium? If so, what is the ride like? I have heard Titanium can be much more comfortable than Carbon but would be good to hear from someone who knows!

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't thought of a custom build. Would that be a lot more than a production frame or something reasonable 10% extra or similar?

Re the frame failures - first frame went at the weld between the chain stay and bottom bracket and the second frame went at the weld between the head tube and down tube. Neither was from a crash or specific pothole; just developed over lots of usage I guess. The third Specialized frame I was sent by the company was an upgrade to and Allez Elite so perhaps it was just the entry level Allez are poor quality frames?
Custom Ti probably double to triple cost of a cheaper off the peg like a Spa/Sabbath/Planet X (estimate 3k vs £1.2k)

What’s your budget? A cheaper Ti with disks will run £1800-2.5k, custom £4K+. Carbon cheaper because there’s much more choice with lower end groupsets

I’d get steel in your situation probably

Either way you’ll want 32-36 spoke handbuilt wheels

And you’re better off braking on corners not breaking... :whistle:

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
Custom Ti probably double to triple cost of a cheaper off the peg like a Spa/Sabbath/Planet X (estimate 3k vs £1.2k)

What’s your budget? A cheaper Ti with disks will run £1800-2.5k, custom £4K+. Carbon cheaper because there’s much more choice with lower end groupsets

I’d get steel in your situation probably

Either way you’ll want 32-36 spoke handbuilt wheels

And you’re better off braking on corners not breaking... :whistle:

My budget is around 2k so I think that puts the custom frame out of the window. How does the ride differ between a Titanium and Steel bike? This is a very superficial point but I find the thin tubing of steel unattractive (although I am sure i can get over this if the ride is worth it).

I run 36 spoke Mavic Open Pros on my Allez after quickly crushing a set of Mavic Aksium before. They have been bullet-proof so i will definitely need a similar touring style wheel. On that note perhaps a touring/audax bike is the better avenue of searching? (even if I never use panniers or mud guards).

PS. :$ I think I was too distracted by my broken frames to Brake properly

CXRAndy

Guru
Im 95kg and own a Kinesis Tripster ATR in titanium. Its a lovely bike. Buy a frame and build your dream bike. That's what I did:okay:
20181126_113523.jpg

I spent £3.5k building mine, but it has Di2 electronic groupset. You could save hundreds by using Ultegra mechanical setup

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
Im 95kg and own a Kinesis Tripster ATR in titanium. Its a lovely bike. Buy a frame and build your dream bike. That's what I did:okay: View attachment 454957

Thanks CXRAndy, I am definitely not adverse to building my own bike. My Allez is akin to 'Trigger's Broom' from 'Only Fools and Horses' in the fact I have only had one bike in 10 years, with 3 different frames and 5 or more groupsets. I have never dealt with disk brakes but I am sure they are as simple as all other bicycle components to fit.

Your Tripster does look awesome. How is the ride of Ti compared to Ali/Carbon/Steel?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm 6'5" & my weight has been over 19 stone in fairly recent history, but currently around 15 stone. I rode a Spesh Allez for many years with no issues on the frame, wheels & BBs were the weakness for me :blush:
A few years ago I bought a carbon bike from Planet X, frame cracked on the downtube just into the 2nd year, they replaced it with no hassle, then the 2nd frame cracked after a month & 500 miles on the seatpost tube :sad: Had a right hassle getting that sorted under warranty. Sold the replacement on, as while I was waiting for it, I bought a Van Nic Ventus. It was a close call for me as to which was best, as they were both slightly different, but on longer rides the Ti edged it for me. Now I have the Van Nic & an Enigma Etape alongside it :smile:
If I were to buy carbon again, it would be from a local shop & from one of the bigger names with a good warranty, but TBH I think I'm a Ti convert now :laugh:
I've not ridden on a really good steel bike, so can't compare steel & Ti. I was going to ask to test ride a steel bike down at Enigma, but apparently I'm not allowed to spend that much on a bike again, so thought the test ride was pointless :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
My budget is around 2k so I think that puts the custom frame out of the window. How does the ride differ between a Titanium and Steel bike? This is a very superficial point but I find the thin tubing of steel unattractive (although I am sure i can get over this if the ride is worth it).

I run 36 spoke Mavic Open Pros on my Allez after quickly crushing a set of Mavic Aksium before. They have been bullet-proof so i will definitely need a similar touring style wheel. On that note perhaps a touring/audax bike is the better avenue of searching? (even if I never use panniers or mud guards).

PS. :$ I think I was too distracted by my broken frames to Brake properly
I don’t think there’s much difference between my Ti tubing and that of my steel Genesis Equilibrium. The Ti is probably a bit better ride wise but it also has fatter tyres (28s vs 25s, I previously had 23s on the Eq). My copper Genesis is gorgeous looking. It’s also lighter than the Ti due having rimbrakes

The Eq is my go to as my utility ride. I wouldn’t leave a 2k bike locked up all day in C London. Do you have properly secure parking?

Last edited:
The arguments over frame weight and stiffness are moot for a tall, heavy, strong rider. XXL frames are never too stiff and weight is a minor consideration compared to strength.
Cannondale used to be the big man's ride esp in touring bikes.
Make sure you ride wider tyres to take the edge off your hard handling of the bike. Consider a CX disk brake style.
Fit the longest cranks you can find and avoid lightweight bars, stem and post.

Top Bottom