Advice for Heavy Rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Custom Ti probably double to triple cost of a cheaper off the peg like a Spa/Sabbath/Planet X (estimate 3k vs £1.2k)

That's actually incorrect, you can get a bespoke Ti frame direct from Walty Ti Frames China as @jowwy will attest, for less then $1000.
I spoke to them about a frame, they were very good, helpful and informative, spoke very good English too but I decided to go down the PX route instead.

Syntace seem to be the brand of choice for extra strong parts.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's actually incorrect, you can get a bespoke Ti frame direct from Walty Ti Frames China as @jowwy will attest, for less then $1000.
I spoke to them about a frame, they were very good, helpful and informative, spoke very good English too but I decided to go down the PX route instead.
Fair enough. I wouldn’t personally buy something like that however. Not least I wouldn't be confident speccing the dimensions of a bespoke frame

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks CXRAndy, I am definitely not adverse to building my own bike. My Allez is akin to 'Trigger's Broom' from 'Only Fools and Horses' in the fact I have only had one bike in 10 years, with 3 different frames and 5 or more groupsets. I have never dealt with disk brakes but I am sure they are as simple as all other bicycle components to fit.

Your Tripster does look awesome. How is the ride of Ti compared to Ali/Carbon/Steel?

Very comfortable. That's probably duecto being albe to run larger tyres, i usually have my 40mm G Ones on for general riding

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Correct indeed.....my frame from walty Ti was £650.... full customised tubing and sizing. Clean as a whistle welds and served me well for 4yrs in many different types of builds.

@vickster i had no problem conversing with them on my exact requirements. Agreed its not for everyone.....but its not as expensive or as scary as people think

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i have to be honest but some of the replies on here a quite comical........32/36 spokes is absolute pish

im 18st and 5ft 10...have ridden carbon zipp wheels, carbon chinese wheels, 21 spoked wheels, 24 spoked wheels and 28/32 spoked wheels and have never broken a single one of them. i have TT'd on carbon zipps at 21 spokes, i have trashed around sportives on campag zondas 16 front and 21 rear spokes

ridden many carbon, alloy and ti frames and neevr broke any of them..........

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
I'm 6'5" & my weight has been over 19 stone in fairly recent history, but currently around 15 stone. I rode a Spesh Allez for many years with no issues on the frame, wheels & BBs were the weakness for me :blush:
A few years ago I bought a carbon bike from Planet X, frame cracked on the downtube just into the 2nd year, they replaced it with no hassle, then the 2nd frame cracked after a month & 500 miles on the seatpost tube :sad: Had a right hassle getting that sorted under warranty. Sold the replacement on, as while I was waiting for it, I bought a Van Nic Ventus. It was a close call for me as to which was best, as they were both slightly different, but on longer rides the Ti edged it for me. Now I have the Van Nic & an Enigma Etape alongside it :smile:
If I were to buy carbon again, it would be from a local shop & from one of the bigger names with a good warranty, but TBH I think I'm a Ti convert now :laugh:
I've not ridden on a really good steel bike, so can't compare steel & Ti. I was going to ask to test ride a steel bike down at Enigma, but apparently I'm not allowed to spend that much on a bike again, so thought the test ride was pointless :sad:

Thanks Soltydog, a few mates have suggested Planet X but i have never really considered them. Perhaps best not to after your experience!

It is good to hear the Ti feel is better especially on longer rides

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks Soltydog, a few mates have suggested Planet X but i have never really considered them. Perhaps best not to after your experience!

It is good to hear the Ti feel is better especially on longer rides

I bought TI frame from planet X, The Hurricane.
Don't let one bad experience put you off. problems with bikes can happen whichever the supplier and manufacturer.

In fact just checking, The Hurricane frame is now available for £599, which is silly money for a Ti frame. XLarge in stock too

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
I don’t think there’s much difference between my Ti tubing and that of my steel Genesis Equilibrium. The Ti is probably a bit better ride wise but it also has fatter tyres (28s vs 25s, I previously had 23s on the Eq). My copper Genesis is gorgeous looking. It’s also lighter than the Ti due having rimbrakes

The Eq is my go to as my utility ride. I wouldn’t leave a 2k bike locked up all day in C London. Do you have properly secure parking?

Indeed the Genesis Equilibrium does have the larger tubing which I prefer and having looked up your Copper I agree it is a very tasty bike. London security isn't a problem as I keep my bike indoors at home and in the secure underground car park at work. This is one of the reasons I am happy to spend a bit of cash on my next bike

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
The arguments over frame weight and stiffness are moot for a tall, heavy, strong rider. XXL frames are never too stiff and weight is a minor consideration compared to strength.
Cannondale used to be the big man's ride esp in touring bikes.
Make sure you ride wider tyres to take the edge off your hard handling of the bike. Consider a CX disk brake style.
Fit the longest cranks you can find and avoid lightweight bars, stem and post.

Totally agree on frame weight, hence why I have given up the dream of at TDF ultra light carbon speedster. However the strength of the frame is paramount as I would like a frame to withstand my punishment. I ride 25s at present and wouldn't mind rolling on 28s but probable no wider than that.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
I bought TI frame from planet X, The Hurricane.
Don't let one bad experience put you off. problems with bikes can happen whichever the supplier and manufacturer.

In fact just checking, The Hurricane frame is now available for £599, which is silly money for a Ti frame. XLarge in stock too

Wow, £1 under 600 for a Ti frame, that is rather tempting, although i note they quote that their XL frame (54) is 5'11" - 6'2" which is 3 inches below my height. That might be an issue

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow, £1 under 600 for a Ti frame, that is rather tempting, although i note they quote that their XL frame (54) is 5'11" - 6'2" which is 3 inches below my height. That might be an issue

Plus an extra 10% off with a PX code.
But if too small.. shame.

Top Bottom