Advice for Heavy Rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Will do, any particular ones you can recommend?
All of them...they have the full range in their shop (not open Sundays)

I don’t have a Condor ...yet...as I have enough bikes right now having got my Ti finally after a year procrastinating :laugh:

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
Plus an extra 10% off with a PX code.
But if too small.. shame.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXPXTIX1/planet-x-spitfire-titanium-road-frameset

Found this frameset too which may be bigger although the site is not showing me the options. I have emailed them directly to see

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
All of them...they have the full range in their shop (not open Sundays)

I don’t have a Condor ...yet...as I have enough bikes right now having got my Ti finally after a year procrastinating :laugh:

Vickster - I have just noticed the list of your current bikes. Can you comment on the feel and ride of each frame material? From the photo of your bike I don't think you have the weight issue I have but would be great to understand the difference you have experienced.

vickster

Legendary Member
Vickster - I have just noticed the list of your current bikes. Can you comment on the feel and ride of each frame material? From the photo of your bike I don't think you have the weight issue I have but would be great to understand the difference you have experienced.
To be honest, I've not ridden the Ti that much yet for several reasons not related to the bike (most recently knee surgery)

I'm around 5'10 and 15st so no lightweight :blush::blush:. Spa built me wheels with 32 spokes

The carbon was my first road bike, I rarely ride it because it's not practical, as I like to carry lots of crap on the bike, like a big lock :blush: I also far prefer the ride of the steel or Ti, carbon just feels a bit dead and plasticky with no give (the Ti has a springy quality)

I use the CX essentially if it's wet and mucky (it's got a clicky BB and needs a service at the mo)

The Genesis is my go to, done around 5.5k miles in 5 years I guess unless it's v wet and mucky

I’ve not ridden the SS for ages, a friend has been using it for a while and I have it back but I’ve got to be careful about loading my knee so gears only

All my geared bikes run Sram, the disc brakes are TRP Spyres (I like secondary cross levers so no fugly hydraulic hoods for me)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
I think I am keener on Ti as I want to make this bike ‘The Bike’ if you know what I mean.
My next question is what is the difference between a £599 Planet X frame, a £1,350 Kinesis Racelite and the likes of Litespeed et al coming in at £3,000 upwards.
Is it to do with quality of material, quality of construction (because it seems Ti frames are solid unless crashed), or lightness (I.e. optimising thinner tubing in parts of the frame).

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I am keener on Ti as I want to make this bike ‘The Bike’ if you know what I mean.
My next question is what is the difference between a £599 Planet X frame, a £1,350 Kinesis Racelite and the likes of Litespeed et al coming in at £3,000 upwards.
Is it to do with quality of material, quality of construction (because it seems Ti frames are solid unless crashed), or lightness (I.e. optimising thinner tubing in parts of the frame).
Can’t answer technically but I could see a clear difference in welding neatness between the Spa Elan and Sabbath AR1 which I ended up with. Price difference £3-400 I think

Best bet is to go view, I went to Spa, Enigma, Corridori and Fatbirds. Pearson’s too as local but their Ti options v expensive.

They’re all accessible by train + bike from London to some degree although certainly call all first being a non standard size!

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought TI frame from planet X, The Hurricane.
Don't let one bad experience put you off. problems with bikes can happen whichever the supplier and manufacturer.

In fact just checking, The Hurricane frame is now available for £599, which is silly money for a Ti frame. XLarge in stock too

I've only heard good reports about the PX Ti bikes, but sadly they don't do a size large enough for 6'5" ers :blush: but after my experience I warn any 'larger' riders of buying a cheap carbon bike :okay:

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
Ok, thanks everyone for your advice so far...

I have started to hone in on a few brands/models which are catching my eye. Understand that I will need to have a look in person and test ride all bikes but does anyone have any knowledge or opinions on the following;

Enigma - Evoke/Escape/Etape
Genesis - Croix de Fer Ti
Kinesis - GF Ti
Merlin - XLR
Rocket - Mannacanite
Lynskey - PRO GR Gravel Bike

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I think the Enigma bikes will be a little over budget :okay: I spent a few quid on the Etape, wasn't sure about spending that much, but the smile whilst having a test ride on the Evoke convinced me ^_^ Lovely bikes if you can spend that much, although they still have the Evoke ex-demo bike in 60cm for £2699 :okay: https://shop.enigmabikes.com/collections/factory-outlet/products/evoke-disc-60cm-ultegra-r8000-build

Even though the Evoke was a little more race orientated than what I wanted, the test ride was lovely & I could have rode it all day.

chriscross1966

Über Member
If your going to splash the cash on a bike to last have you considered a custom built frame either steel or Ti ?

Out of interest where did the 2 frames break and was there an obvious incident such as hitting a pothole ?
Bicycles by Design will do a Swallow frameset for around 1800 (from memory of a friends last year), fit a Campy Potenza groupset for around 1100 and a set of decent 36/32 wheels... you'll be around the 4k mark once you add bars, stem, saddle and post...plus assembly costs if you want someone else to do the spannering.... that's a lot for a bike, but it's what my perfect Brompton has cost me, and the perfect bike is perfect.... the downside is the screaming from the waller regions, the upside is you will have a bike that will always fit you, at your size and weight a bike that's a couple of pounds heavier than your old Allez isnt hoing to notice vs perfect fit.

tom73

Guru
Just to add to the mix have you had a look at the Ribble CGR Ti ? Maybe worth a look you can always contact them see if it will work for you they are quite helpful.

Top Bottom