Advice for worn bearings on 29er wheels (Trek Fuel Ex7)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Looking for advice on sorting out notchy bearings on my Fuel EX7.
The cone n hub bearings on the front Bontrager wheel that came with bike are notchy and worn. I've disassembled the hub can't see any signs of pitting in the hub or the balls, but when reassembled it still feels rough.

What are my best cost effective options? (ideally I'd like to ditch cone n hub and get cartridge bearings).

New wheelset (any recommendations) ?
or new hubs? - would need bike shop to rebuild the wheels.

The front wheel has a 15mm shaft fixing, the rear a standard skewer fixing.

thanks

If you are absolutely sure that all bearing surfaces are smooth after having examined it with a magnifier, the only remaining reason for rough bearings that remains is adjustment. Too tight cones present as rough bearings.

cones (1).JPG

This is a photo of two cones, the one stacked face-to-face on top of the other. The top one is worn, the bottom one is the new one. The wear track can be clearly seen in this magnified photo but to the untrained eye on a life-size cone, this is sometimes not so obvious.

OP
OP
Mojonaut

Mojonaut

Guru
thanks for the photo, with some decent magnifiers and and good daylighting and a macro lens this is what I have, doesn't look as severe as your example. I repacked with grease and reassembled but it still feels rough when spun, even tightening only sufficient to remove any play. Incidently when I took it apart it was packed with grease and no sign of water ingress.

Attachments

• CIMG3817.JPG
    CIMG3817.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 93
  • CIMG3818.JPG
    CIMG3818.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 98
  • CIMG3820.JPG
    CIMG3820.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 96
thanks for the photo, with some decent magnifiers and and good daylighting and a macro lens this is what I have, doesn't look as severe as your example. I repacked with grease and reassembled but it still feels rough when spun, even tightening only sufficient to remove any play. Incidently when I took it apart it was packed with grease and no sign of water ingress.

I'm afraid your cones and cups are damaged. The cones can be replaced but the cups not, which means the hub is kaput and therefore the wheel. Just ride it until something gives in. Not that something will give in, but the bearings will never run smooth again. I have a wheel like that and I've put tens of thousands of KMs in it after the event and it is still ok, but never survives the smoothness test.

PS - thanks for the great photos. We see so many crappy cellphone photos here were one can barely recognize the subject, nevermind diagnose the problem.

That bearing suffered from water ingress and a long stand with water inside. It isn't the end of the world. Keep replacing the balls when they start to deteriorate, go for a ride and drink a beer.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What are my best cost effective options? (ideally I'd like to ditch cone n hub and get cartridge bearings).
That's what I did, because life is too short to keep greasing balls ^_^
Mind, the new wheel (from LBS) cost 10 times more than the second hand frame it got fitted to, but, ohhh, soo smooth! :rolleyes:

Levo-Lon

Guru
There worn as @Yellow Saddle says..
so carry on with a little rumble or its sped time..

OP
OP
Mojonaut

Mojonaut

Guru
Thanks guys, for your help and advice, it's good to know it's ok to continue to ride them, but I'm actively looking at replacing them.
I'm riding mostly off road on bridleways/firetrack.

I don't know if its ok on the forum to link directly to ads? so I'll just describe, but have been looking at the Mavic Crossrides on CRC's site for £166

The front seems compatible with my QR 15mm axle and 100mm width, but I'm confused on the rear, mine uses a QR 5mm skewer with a 135mm width.
On the Q&A section they quote:

These wheels are supplied as suitable for use as follows:-
9mm Quick Release x 100mm or 15mm x 100mm front hub designs.
9mm Quick Release x 135mm or 12mm x 135/142mm rear thru axle set ups.

For the rear do I need some sort of sleeve/adapter to build out the 5mm skewer to 9mm ? or is it not compatible.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I just bought some Crossrides..superb wheelset for the money..
they have adapters but check for QR skewer fitment..as you may need to buy them separately

Top Bottom