Advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ashimoto

Just got back into riding around 3 month ago after a very long lay off. Bought a mountain bike which is great but ive decided to replace the front suspension forks for rigid ones. I ride mainly on the road with the odd foray down the cut bank and cycle tracks. Hills are hard work with the front suspension, I dont really need it tbh which is why its being replaced. Ive not got a clue about which forks to get. Is the steerer a standard size ?. I know it may need cutting but I dont want to order the wrong forks.
Many thanks in advance

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the problem is the forks sagging going uphill, is it possible to lock out the suspension? If you could do that, it would make a big difference and you might be able to stick with the forks that you've got.

OTOH - if you don't need suspension, do you really need a mountain bike? Rather than swapping forks, I'd rather go for a lighter, stiffer bike - maybe a gravel bike, which would still be fine for most gentle offroad excursions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
ColinJ is right, you've got the wrong bike. Unless you're a confident bike mechanic changing those forks will turn into a nightmare because there are a few things you could get wrong. Sell the old mountain bike and treat yourself to a modern gravel bike, which will be great for tarmac and the occasional off road. It will also have disc brakes, an extra bonus.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
ColinJ is right, you've got the wrong bike. Unless you're a confident bike mechanic changing those forks will turn into a nightmare because there are a few things you could get wrong. Sell the old mountain bike and treat yourself to a modern gravel bike, which will be great for tarmac and the occasional off road. It will also have disc brakes, an extra bonus.

Or even just a good old fashioned hybrid..
They're still 'a thing'

I was going to go for a 'gravel bike' when upgrading from my last bike.
I'm 80% road 20% tracks rider generally - but not into boulder hopping.

I got a light, modern hybrid with disc brakes, and upgraded the tyres to fancy tubeless continentals,

Plus its got all the fixing points for pannier racks, which isn't always the case with gravel bikes.

For me it's a pretty much a go anywhere do anything bike, for longer tours, or local rough tracks.

Like the others suggest, this fork replacement job sounds like a faff, to still end up with something less than ideal.

Keep - or sell - that bike intact, save the cost and trouble of replacement forks, and get something better for your needs.

A more appropriate bike will make your riding more enjoyable, you'll want to do it more.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s tough I know but it does look as though you have the wrong type of bike. You’ll be much happier on a hybrid or gravel/adventure bike. Only downside is you’ll drop a lot of money when selling the MTB :sad:.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
An idea of the bike is better and make of fork and if it's new/used. Nothing wrong with suspension, but if it's a cheap bike with suspension, it's terribly heavy and doesn't actually work very well.

With 'decent' suspension, you can lock it out, but I never bother on my MTB as it's a 'good' one (without getting technical).

Venod

Eh up
I don't need it, but I like the look of this, I just need to sell one first.

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/speedwork/2020

Ajax Bay

Guru
Trying to give the OP advice addressing their question:
The fork will likely have a 1 1/8th steerer but a newer bike may have a 1 1/4" tapering to 1 1/8". The length of the steerer tube needs to match(ish) the head tube. The length of the blades needs to 'match' the normal running height of the current ones. And if disc brakes the new fork will need to be a 'disc' one.
Slickish tyres will make a difference, in the current fork or a new one.

Gunk

Guru
I don’t think losing the fork is such a bad idea, I had an old 1990’s Stumpjumper for years with a replacement rigid front fork and it was a great do it all bike. My brother in law now has it and it’s still used for regular pub runs.

if most of your riding is on road and trails ditching the front suspension forks just gives you a lighter easier to maintain comfortable gravel bike.

Changing out a fork can be very complicated depending on your knowledge and experience, not to mention expensive if it goes wrong. It can also affect the handling of the bike.

My immediate instinct after three months is to stick with what you have and try to make it more suitable for your use. Locking the suspension is step one, changing tyres another.
After a full year of different conditions you'll have that much more experience as to whether to keep your bike or exchange it.

As for changing the bike, maybe bring it to a few bike shops and get quotes for replacement forks. Then you can compare the cost of that and a new bike, as well as get advice on exactly what forks you need. But be prepared to resist the inevitable sales push for a new bike!

Good luck!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It’s tough I know but it does look as though you have the wrong type of bike. You’ll be much happier on a hybrid or gravel/adventure bike. Only downside is you’ll drop a lot of money when selling the MTB :sad:.

If the suspension MTB is sold and then replaced with a secondhand fully rigid one, the OP might even have some cash left over, depending on what sort of bikes are involved. Selling a fairly new one and replacing it with yet another brand new bike is going to entail two lots of heavy depreciation over quite a short period.
Cycling gets expensive if new bikes keep getting bought on a regular basis. The older the bikes you ride are, the less money there is involved to evaporate through depreciation.

Top Bottom