Advice on a decent helmet camera.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I already have a camera which is bottom of the line and relatively satisfactory quality. However, It is big and heavy and the camera angle is terrible so it performs poorly when on my head, which is the reason why I have attached it to my handlebars.
I have been looking at the Contour and Gopro ranges and understand that they are relatively same in quality. Although I still have a few questions on them.

How easy is it to edit the footage? I currently use Windows MovieMaker and that seems to work fine but would I be able to do this with the files from these cameras?

How long do the batteries last? I understand that both cameras are rechargable but how long do you get out of a single charge?

What size SD cards do they need? I currently use a 4GB SDHC card which I can get 1.42 hours out of on my current camera. Would these cameras need a bigger one?

I understand that they are both around the £180 mark and was wondering what the cheapest you could get either of them for is. The cameras in particular are the Contour ROAM and the Gopro Hero, the basic versions with simply the helmet strap and attachments.

Any advice would be appreciated and if you know of a cheaper camera which performs at the same level as these, please do let me know.

It is my birthday in January and the amount I am going to spend will depend on how much I get. Last year I bought a Turbo trainer and still had some left for my current camera.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Read my guide
I'll answer some of you questions later, busy doing something else now.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I already have a camera which is bottom of the line and relatively satisfactory quality. However, It is big and heavy and the camera angle is terrible so it performs poorly when on my head, which is the reason why I have attached it to my handlebars.
I have been looking at the Contour and Gopro ranges and understand that they are relatively same in quality. Although I still have a few questions on them.

How easy is it to edit the footage? I currently use Windows MovieMaker and that seems to work fine but would I be able to do this with the files from these cameras?

How long do the batteries last? I understand that both cameras are rechargable but how long do you get out of a single charge?

What size SD cards do they need? I currently use a 4GB SDHC card which I can get 1.42 hours out of on my current camera. Would these cameras need a bigger one?

I understand that they are both around the £180 mark and was wondering what the cheapest you could get either of them for is. The cameras in particular are the Contour ROAM and the Gopro Hero, the basic versions with simply the helmet strap and attachments.

Any advice would be appreciated and if you know of a cheaper camera which performs at the same level as these, please do let me know.

It is my birthday in January and the amount I am going to spend will depend on how much I get. Last year I bought a Turbo trainer and still had some left for my current camera.
Editing footage -
You need a computer powerful enough to just play the footage let alone edit it. A cheap netbook isn't going to cut the mustard. WMM will be fine for editing.
Batteries -
Look at the contour and go pro websites for that info.
Memory cards -
You probably will want something bigger, 4GB will last maybe 40mins. I use 16GB cards in my cameras.
Places to buy -
Definitely look at amazon, the prices fluctuate on there and you can get a real bargain. Otherwise I would always suggest buying from a reputable online retailer, it may costs more but it's worth it if something goes wrong.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Go Pro HD is great, been using one for the last year or so, great quality and you can use it under water great when your on your hols, basicly bomb proof when in the polycarbonite case, plus you can get all the attachments to fit it on anything, editing is no prob as long as your computer is half descent, see link below 100% reccomended.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0xwCHwfs0M

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Editing footage -
You need a computer powerful enough to just play the footage let alone edit it. A cheap netbook isn't going to cut the mustard. WMM will be fine for editing.

Well thats going to be the problem then, I am definately not going to be getting a new laptop or computer anytime soon. I have an Acer Aspire One which I will have to put up with for a long time. I am already at the limit for its memory.

Top Bottom