advice on buying my first bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glen101

hello all, i've just joined the forum tonight looking for some advice:

i'm looking to buy a bike through the cycle scheme in january. but i haven't owned a bike for about 30 years. i did run a lot to keep fit, but ankle and knee problems have virtually stopped that altogether. i'm wanting something to keep fit on. i would say majority of cycling would be on road, but also some paths/tracks. top road speed is not that important. more a smooth and comfortable ride. i guess i'm looking at a hybrid. my budget is around £800. to begin with i've looked at:

marins
san anselmo deore £649
san anselmo alfine £849
sausilito £799

treks
soho £800
7.5fx £600
7.6fx £850
7500 £600
7700 £850

i quite like the look of the sausilito

any comments, advice would be appreciated

or, are there any other recommendations

lukesdad

Have alook at cannondales in the sales ali frames are superb.

You really need to ride as many as you can and see what you find comfortable to ride for the type of riding you'l be doing

I've got a flat bar Cannondale Synapse

Synapse.jpg

Which is very light and fast and with the wider tyres on it can handle canal towpaths but i'm considering going back to a mountain bike and having a set of slicks for the road rides as i find the geometry alot more comfy and like you the speed is'nt a big issue for me

Simon

lukesdad

Like that Jakesdad not dismiliar to my 20 year old m2000 nice. What would something like that set you back today?

lukesdad said:
Like that Jakesdad not dismiliar to my 20 year old m2000 nice. What would something like that set you back today?

I bought that one on here for £300 (posted)

the only thing i had to buy to get going was some pedals and since owning it i've fitted a triple chainring on the front (well it is very hilly in Devon)

The 2010 model same spec as mine is selling for £899.99

It is a cracking bike ...

Simon

g00se

Veteran
Hi - welcome. As others are saying, try out as many as you can. I went for a Kona Dew Plus. The Dew range has mountain bike frame geometry but reasonably light and very nimble. Larger road wheels but wider tyres. Very good front fork if you're going away from tarmac.

23102009315A.jpg

OP
OP
G

glen101

thanks for the advice. i went to one of my nearest LBS's this afternoon with the intention of trying a Kona Dr. Dew. As he didn't have one in, i tried the one down, the Dew Deluxe.

Considering i haven't been on a bike for "x" years, i found it easy to ride and liked it a lot. He is getting a Dr. Dew in on monday - but not in my size, but to his credit, he recommended the Deluxe, as he said there is less likely to go wrong on the Deluxes 3x8 gears, as opposed to the Dr. Dew's 3x9 gears - well i think thats what he said.

i would be interested in others opinions of Deluxe vs Dr Dew - would i notice the difference in the two?

i still also intend to test the trek fx7.6 - from what i've read it's very fast on road, but i'm a bit apprehensive of those thin tyres for slightly rougher conditions

and one of the marin city range - san amelso deore / alfine

again any advice appreciated

potsy

Rambler
glen101 said:
thanks for the advice. i went to one of my nearest LBS's this afternoon with the intention of trying a Kona Dr. Dew. As he didn't have one in, i tried the one down, the Dew Deluxe.

Considering i haven't been on a bike for "x" years, i found it easy to ride and liked it a lot. He is getting a Dr. Dew in on monday - but not in my size, but to his credit, he recommended the Deluxe, as he said there is less likely to go wrong on the Deluxes 3x8 gears, as opposed to the Dr. Dew's 3x9 gears - well i think thats what he said.

i would be interested in others opinions of Deluxe vs Dr Dew - would i notice the difference in the two?

i still also intend to test the trek fx7.6 - from what i've read it's very fast on road, but i'm a bit apprehensive of those thin tyres for slightly rougher conditions

and one of the marin city range - san amelso deore / alfine

again any advice appreciated
I bought a trek 7.1fx back in April 1st bike for years,if I knew how well I would enjoy cycling I would have gone for the 7.5 or 6 myself,look very nice + lighter and much better specced than the 7.1.
Might look at up=grading next year.

OP
OP
G

glen101

potsy said:
I bought a trek 7.1fx back in April 1st bike for years,if I knew how well I would enjoy cycling I would have gone for the 7.5 or 6 myself,look very nice + lighter and much better specced than the 7.1.
Might look at up=grading next year.

thanks for advice. looking at the trek brochure, i think there is a difference in tyres; 700x35c on the 7.1 and 700x28c on the 7.6. i'm just not sure how those thinner tyres will handle tracks and bridle paths

i'll let you know after i've tested it

potsy

Rambler
glen101 said:
thanks for advice. looking at the trek brochure, i think there is a difference in tyres; 700x35c on the 7.1 and 700x28c on the 7.6. i'm just not sure how those thinner tyres will handle tracks and bridle paths

i'll let you know after i've tested it

glen, I swapped my tyres straight away for some 28's Marathon+.
Been fine on road and on towpath.Just the 7.1 is heavy and low spec but could have been a 2 week wonder kind of hobby so didn't want to spend much more at the time.Now I'm deciding whether to trade this one in,or ride it til it's worn out then get new one.
Have road bike for the summer so it;s gonna be more of a wet/bad weather bike anyway.
Whatever you end up getting at that kind of price you will have a good bike:smile:

g00se

Veteran
glen101 said:

Hi - are these Kona Dews the 2009 or 2010 models?

I've never ridden the Dr Dew, but comparing the specs, the Dr Dew upgrades over the Deluxe are for road speed. Gear ratios, handlebar geometer, weight (rims etc). Also, the tyres on the 2009 model are 32 whereas the Deluxe are 37. On the 2010 models the Dr Dew tyres are 37 too but a different type.

Best thing would be to try both out.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
glen101 said:
hello all, i've just joined the forum tonight looking for some advice:

i'm looking to buy a bike through the cycle scheme in january. but i haven't owned a bike for about 30 years. i did run a lot to keep fit, but ankle and knee problems have virtually stopped that altogether. i'm wanting something to keep fit on. i would say majority of cycling would be on road, but also some paths/tracks. top road speed is not that important. more a smooth and comfortable ride. i guess i'm looking at a hybrid. my budget is around £800. to begin with i've looked at:

The bit I've highlighted is what very many people post who come on here and ask the same question as you.

In my opinion the bike which best fits that bill and which is the best all round bike there is, is steel framed touring bike. It's as fast as anything but racing/road bikes, is designed to go off road in all except the most outrageous conditions (i.e. pure mountain bike territory) and has the added advantaged of being designed with a view to you strapping a couple of panniers on it so that it is excellent for shopping etc. and of course touring i.e. cycling holidays/breaks.

They are also very comfortable bikes with a "relaxed" geometry. You could do worse than start by looking at the Edinburgh Bicycle Coop web site.

Top Bottom