Advice on CO2 Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Ive had a mini pump but after 30 odd rides have had no reason to use it (touches wood) and its meant I've had to have a backpack to store it as I have 2 water bottles on the frame.

So I was looking at the smaller CO2 canister solutions, which would mean I could downgrade to a saddle bag. I know they are relatvely costly, but its not like Im getting punctures 5 times a month, its an expense I'm willing to take.

Anybody else use them? Which ones?

I have a Cannondale road bike with stock wheels and tyres (700cc 23 something or other) that had recommended PSI of between 80-115, although I usually go 100 back and 110 front.

Does a 12 gram canister fill up to around 100 PSI?

I would like to be able to control the input, as I would like to prefill a small amount of air into the tube before putting it into the tyre.

Dumb side question - is there any chance of these things going boom in my saddle bag?

My mini pump fits inside my rear pocket, since the holder broke, but then so does any excess clothing like gloves arm/leg warmers even a base layer if I get the clothing wrong.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
My mini pump clamp sits under the bottle cage and shares the same attachment bolts so the pump runs parellel to and behind the cage. Looks pretty neat to me. One shot co2 is not for me as I am a clumsy old fool and would cock it up.

I used to use co2 then went to a Road Morph, but that was just tooooooooooo long for a jersey pocket, so now I'm back on co2.

TBH it's so convenient and easy to use that I don't carry any form of 'normal' pump anymore.

FWIW I use a GENUINE INNOVATIONS pump like this and I generally carry two cartridges for my normal rides :thumbsup:

PS: see rule #30 & #31*

*the 'rules' are just a bit of fun ;-)

Phil485

I have both the lifeline and lezyne ones. I've used the lifeline one about 5 times now and I'm an absolute convert.
Usually carry 2 16oz canisters with me.

The lifeline one is 8 quid is from wiggle and I just ordered 30 canisters from a non cycling specific website for I think 20 quid.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Do the systems you use allow you to add a bit if air to the tyre prior to refit, or is it 1 go and it's all gone kinda deal?

And what inflator do you use?

RWright

Guru
I got an Innovations air chuck elite and box of 30 threaded 16g CO2 cartridges. I have used it about 10 times total, actually I have a couple of them and used them 10 times all together. The mini pump is retired. I use them on different size tires but on 700 x 23 or 700 x 25 the 16g cartridges fill them close to capacity. I carry two cartridges and two spare tubes on my bikes.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I got an Innovations air chuck elite and box of 30 threaded 16g CO2 cartridges. I have used it about 10 times total, actually I have a couple of them and used them 10 times all together. The mini pump is retired. I use them on different size tires but on 700 x 23 or 700 x 25 the 16g cartridges fill them close to capacity. I carry two cartridges and two spare tubes on my bikes.

Looks like a pretty small device, which sounds perfect.

I have both the lifeline and lezyne ones. I've used the lifeline one about 5 times now and I'm an absolute convert.
Usually carry 2 16oz canisters with me.

The lifeline one is 8 quid is from wiggle and I just ordered 30 canisters from a non cycling specific website for I think 20 quid.

Interested in finding out where you got the spare canisters?

D

Deleted member 23692

/\/\ Wise words indeed ;)

.... and don't fit the cartridge till you intend to use it, and make sure you're not touching the cartridge whilst inflating a tyre!

Top Bottom