Advice on removing ugly sticker from frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loz

Veteran
Hi all, currently tidying up my frame. Does anyone know how i can remove this sticker without damaging the paintwork? (I mean the "bike & run" sticker)

2CU5fBS.jpg

MikeW-71

Veteran
Pick it off with a fingernail as much as you can. If it comes off clean, great! If it leaves any sticky residue, WD40 on a soft cloth will remove it.

OP
OP
loz

loz

Veteran
wd40 worked a treat thanks! any more advice on how to clean other pesky marks from frames? some sort of gentle polish maybe?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It will just peel off ... no need for heat or chemical !
???? How many stickers have you removed? This is a brave statement. IME it is not common for a sticker to peel cleanly and easily. Some do but then some will tear into strips, peel off and leave all the adhesive behind, chip into 1000 pieces or stubbornly refuse to give up grip of the surface they are stuck to. Age seems to be a big factor in this but even a newish sticker can be a pig, the foilised type are often the worst for leaving the glue behind and even a newish sticker can leave an outline witness mark where dirt has got into the adhesive at the label edge. This is where a solvent like WD40 or white spirit is helpful as is removes the glue without too much rubbing which can cause the dirt to scratch the paint.

???? How many stickers have you removed? This is a brave statement. IME it is not common for a sticker to peel cleanly and easily. Some do but then some will tear into strips, peel off and leave all the adhesive behind, chip into 1000 pieces or stubbornly refuse to give up grip of the surface they are stuck to. Age seems to be a big factor in this but even a newish sticker can be a pig, the foilised type are often the worst for leaving the glue behind and even a newish sticker can leave an outline witness mark where dirt has got into the adhesive at the label edge. This is where a solvent like WD40 or white spirit is helpful as is removes the glue without too much rubbing which can cause the dirt to scratch the paint.

Lost count ! They are not heat transfers , In the pic they look new ish .. when he pulls they off he will tells us

Octet

Veteran
I find nail polish remover to do a better job at removing the residue, it contains acetone which is a stronger solvent than simply "buffing" it off with polish or WD40.

OP
OP
loz

loz

Veteran
This sticker certainly was of the "fosilised" type! I guess the frame is about 8 years old, the sticker had gone really hard. My concern was that taking it off would either damage the paint, or as suggested, leave a mark on the paint around the edge of the sticker.

However it came off quite easily, it did leave a residue behind but the wd40 took care of this.

The frame has a few other marks on it I'd like to remove. For example, if you look on the far right of the picture above you can see part of a dog tooth chain catcher thing, when I removed this I found muck had built up and discoloured the frame. What are my chances of getting this back to it's former glory?

shunter

Years ago I found out from a record store owner that lighter fuel was the best to remove the stickers of CD's and then a quick polish with Mr Sheen. Have used Ronson lighter fluid to remove all sorts of stickers.

This sticker certainly was of the "fosilised" type! I guess the frame is about 8 years old, the sticker had gone really hard. My concern was that taking it off would either damage the paint, or as suggested, leave a mark on the paint around the edge of the sticker.

However it came off quite easily, it did leave a residue behind but the wd40 took care of this.

The frame has a few other marks on it I'd like to remove. For example, if you look on the far right of the picture above you can see part of a dog tooth chain catcher thing, when I removed this I found muck had built up and discoloured the frame. What are my chances of getting this back to it's former glory?

T/cut should do it:thumbsup:

Top Bottom