Advice on Taking Rigid Bike Cases on Emirates Flights to Dubai

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone recommend a particular bike case. Also is the bike and case part of your 30kg, baggage alowance. I would appreciate any other advice as this would be the first time we have decided to takes 3 bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can anyone recommend a particular bike case. Also is the bike and case part of your 30kg, baggage alowance. I would appreciate any other advice as this would be the first time we have decided to takes 3 bikes.

From the link to the above Emirates baggage T's and C's.....

All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment

Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance. A list of sporting equipment can be found below. If you intend to take a bicycle as checked luggage, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance. Special packaging rules may apply.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
30 kg probably wouldn't leave a lot for other baggage. My bike weighs 9 kg and the Scicon case I used weighed about 13 kg. By the time I had put a helmet, cycling shoes, spares, tools etc in the box I was up to well over 25 kg!

vickster

Legendary Member
30 kg probably wouldn't leave a lot for other baggage. My bike weighs 9 kg and the Scicon case I used weighed about 13 kg. By the time I had put a helmet, cycling shoes, spares, tools etc in the box I was up to well over 25 kg!

Depends what class flying, business often allows 2x32kg for example

A work colleague's husband was killed cycling in Dubai. It doesn't seem to be a cycling paradise. Can you hire over there ?

OP
OP
J

Jumeirah Trio

A work colleague's husband was killed cycling in Dubai. It doesn't seem to be a cycling paradise. Can you hire over there ?

Yes you can hire. We have hired in the past but by the time you take a taxi to the hire shop it takes up a lot of time. We thought by storing the bikes in the hotel, we could utilise them more.

Have travelled on Emirates a number of times with bike in a box, bike in bike bag and always part of baggage allowance. As long as you remove the wheels, air out of tyres, pedals removed and handlebar flush. After check-in, head to the oversized baggage area to deposit the bag or box. Never used a bike case as it would exceed baggage allowance. Never gave them advance notice, just turned up early.

Etihad, UAE sister airlines were charging extra fees for bikes.

Bubble wrap RD.

ColinJ

Bubble wrap RD.
After unbolting it and strapping it inside one of the seat stays!

I was in a group of about 30 riders on the Costa Blanca. We had just hit a small hill and were starting to power our way up it when we heard a loud noise and a stream of expletives coming from the back of the group. A rider had just tried to change gear and his gear hanger had broken, sending his rear mech into the wheel. Several spokes were broken, his mech was hanging down into the wheel and the chain was mangled.
It turned out that baggage handlers at the airport had bent his gear hanger. He bent it back at the hotel, which had probably weakened it.

If the bike is in a bag rather than a box I would put dropout protectors in too...

After unbolting it and strapping it inside one of the seat stays!

It turned out that baggage handlers at the airport had bent his gear hanger. He bent it back at the hotel, which had probably weakened it.

If the bike is in a bag rather than a box I would put dropout protectors in too...

Yes, on unbolting and dropout protectors which can get from bike stores. Forgot that, thanks.

OP
OP
J

Jumeirah Trio

I take it from this, your bikes are less likely to get damaged if you use a hard case and not a soft bike bag. The hard cases are quite expensive compared to the soft bags. Just wondering if the cost of hard bike cases are worth it.

ColinJ

I take it from this, your bikes are less likely to get damaged if you use a hard case and not a soft bike bag. The hard cases are quite expensive compared to the soft bags. Just wondering if the cost of hard bike cases are worth it.
There is an argument that soft bags are treated better than hard cases. I would assume the worst either way - READ THIS!

You will probably get people replying now saying that they have had no problems, but I had significant problems on 2 out of my 8 flights. I would do everything possible to protect the bike - either a big strong case, or a bike bag with a protective supporting metal frame inside it, pipe-lagging round the frame/fork, dropout protectors etc.

I also didn't like the terms and conditions of the airlines. There is usually something in there saying that they can't guarantee to take your bike on the flight! Not much use if your hotel is 100 kms from the airport and the bike gets to the destination airport a day or two after you...

I decided that if I ever go on another cycling trip abroad I will hire a bike when I get there instead of taking mine.

Top Bottom