Bike Box ... always have to dismantle the bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have an Alan, and if I want to do a proper job it is 30 mins each end. Removing the rear mech is a lot of peace of mind and adds about 90 secs. No need to remove cables, just strap the mech to the frame. Removing the mech significantly helps reduce the risk of bending the mech hanger

D

Deleted member 26715

No way would I ever consider a soft shell case or plastic bag - seen too many damaged bikes thrown around by luggage handlers.
I suppose it depends on the value of the bike, I've flown 20-30 times with the bag without any issues.

Worst thing I had wa in the US the DEA puching through the zip. They left a note inside admitting it was them, not sure what they would do with a hard case, smash the locks? Annoyingly it was an internal flight!

The spec of the bike is a factor. The tourer in my avtar is a 58 Cm frame and has mudguards, rear rack, had stupid sticky out canti brakes, all of which had to be removed. I did take detach the rear mech and taped it to the frame. Took ages.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The way the airport staff threw our bikes into the hold at Manchester airport convinced me never to use a soft bag.My mate had his brand new Planet-X Pro-Carbon in my old bike-bag and he was horrified when he saw his pride and joy being handled so carelessly!
Luckily there didn't appear to be any damage but he had packed all his gear/clothes around the frame.

No way would I ever consider a soft shell case or plastic bag - seen too many damaged bikes thrown around by luggage handlers. It does make it difficult though if you want to go on a touring holiday as you need to store the case for when you get back - and assuming you go round in a circle!!
I bought a Bianchi for £2,000 and £1,000 of that was for the frame and fork. I booked a flight to Spain from Manchester and on arrival back I saw the baggage handlers throw my bike bag 10 feet down onto a pile of suitcases. The bag was clearly marked as a bike bag so they knew what they were throwing!

Here's what they did to my 2 week old frame ...

Bianchi seat tube close-up.jpg

(The black dots are marker pen. I wanted to see if the crack was spreading!)

After that I spent £400 on a SciCon bike box to protect my bike on future holidays.

The handlers threw that out instead on another holiday and broke the corner of the box, but at least it protected the bike! I used epoxy resin to fix an aluminium reinforcing plate into the corner of the box and that held for all subsequent trips.

My bikes are fairly large (58 cm frame). I did have to take the handlebars off and remove the seatpost to get the bike to fit the box. I detached the rear mech because it rested on the bottom of the box and I had seen another rider's bike arrive at the airport in Spain with a broken rear mech hanger - I didn't want to risk that.

Disassembling/reassembling the bike only takes 20-30 minutes so it isn't a big deal.

boydj

Legendary Member
I eventually gave away my bike box. Hiring a good quality bike for a week in Majorca costs more than the additional cost on the flights, but when you add in the aggravation factors for disassembly, packing, unpacking, reassembly, transport to and from the airport and the worry over rough handling and potential for damage, I think it's just not worth it. Plus it's a good chance to try out different makes and possibly better quality of bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I eventually gave away my bike box. Hiring a good quality bike for a week in Majorca costs more than the additional cost on the flights, but when you add in the aggravation factors for disassembly, packing, unpacking, reassembly, transport to and from the airport and the worry over rough handling and potential for damage, I think it's just not worth it. Plus it's a good chance to try out different makes and possibly better quality of bike.
I have been thinking along similar lines.

I can't afford holidays these days but if my circumstances improve I fancy checking out Mallorca and will hire a bike there.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The way the airport staff threw our bikes into the hold at Manchester airport convinced me never to use a soft bag.My mate had his brand new Planet-X Pro-Carbon in my old bike-bag and he was horrified when he saw his pride and joy being handled so carelessly!
Luckily there didn't appear to be any damage but he had packed all his gear/clothes around the frame.

Maybe that was because it was in a padded bag. An unpadded clear bag usually gets treated very well, partly because the handlers know that they will cause visible damage if they don't.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Maybe that was because it was in a padded bag. An unpadded clear bag usually gets treated very well, partly because the handlers know that they will cause visible damage if they don't.
No.It was a standard Nylon type bike bag.The only padding was what was put around the bike inside with no way of telling unless the bag was opened.They were throwing everything regardless anyway so padded or not it made no difference.I've also seen vids online of them doing this at airports abroad.
I'd sooner not take the risk with a my £3k Carbon bike.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think rear mech removal is not essential, just to reduce the risk of the hanger bending if pranged.

Of all the reassembly that's about the easiest bit, well worth doing IMO.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I think rear mech removal is not essential, just to reduce the risk of the hanger bending if pranged.
Of all the reassembly that's about the easiest bit, well worth doing IMO.
I wrap it in bubble wrap but inside a BikeBoxAlan it's highly unlikely to get pranged:becool:
If a Humvee can't crush it then I doubt airport staff can do much damage chucking it about!

Top Bottom