Bike Box ... always have to dismantle the bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
A bit of background - last year I used a bike box for the first time. Being very green in these matters I hired the box and paid for the packing service and was surprised at the extent the bike had to be dismantled to fit in the box - wheels, seat, handlebars, rear mech etc. I'm not particularly proficient in anything that involves spanners and allen keys so I found reassembling the bike, with the prospect of a 100 mile ride the next day more than a little stressful.

In May I will be making another trip to Spain which will require the use of a bike box. My question - is this degree of disassembly always required or are there designs of boxes which allow the bike to be transported more or less intact ?

172traindriver

Legendary Member
A bit of background - last year I used a bike box for the first time. Being very green in these matters I hired the box and paid for the packing service and was surprised at the extent the bike had to be dismantled to fit in the box - wheels, seat, handlebars, rear mech etc. I'm not particularly proficient in anything that involves spanners and allen keys so I found reassembling the bike, with the prospect of a 100 mile ride the next day more than a little stressful.

In May I will be making another trip to Spain which will require the use of a bike box. My question - is this degree of disassembly always required or are there designs of boxes which allow the bike to be transported more or less intact ?

I've got a Bike Box Alan and don't have to do much stripping to get it into the box.
You should have a look at the video on their site and to be honest its as simple as the make it out to be. Also mine is a medium frame and I can get away with leaving the seat post in situ.
I did look at some other boxes before making my choice and speaking to mates about what they had and there does appear to be more stripping down of the bike to get it in other brands.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
I've got a Bike Box Alan and don't have to do much stripping to get it into the box.
You should have a look at the video on their site and to be honest its as simple as the make it out to be. Also mine is a medium frame and I can get away with leaving the seat post in situ.
I did look at some other boxes before making my choice and speaking to mates about what they had and there does appear to be more stripping down of the bike to get it in other brands.
Thanks for the information - being a bit slow here - what brand of box do you have ?

wyre forest blues

Über Member
If you are going with a group or someone else 'pair up' to assemble each bike. It helps if you are not that proficient to have a second pair of hands. And as vickster said, practice dissambling the bike and putting it in the box, including packing your shoes. helmet etc.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I use BikeboxAlan too as I can pick the box up.
No need to remove rear mech with any box AFAIK?
Just Wheels,pedals,saddle and bars takes about 15 mins.There is usually about 8-10 of us when we go to Mallorca so if anyone is not too confident someone who is helps out.We generally get to the Apartments,build the bikes and ride straight away.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Bike box size has to be limited due to airline luggage size regs - so you'll not find one that will transport bike whole. Assuming it is a hardshell case then for most all you need to do is remove seatpost and wheels, turn the handlebars. Always a good idea to put a transport brace between the fork dropout and the rear dropouts (LBS should have loads of these from boxed bike deliveries).

D

Deleted member 26715

When I used to use my bag I had to remove the wheels & pull the seat out, I didn't remove the rear mech but I would wrap it up in bubblewrap as a bit of protection but mainly to stop the oil getting everywhere

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks for all the comments.
I was surprised when the rear mech was removed but the guy doing the packing recommended it and as I didn't know better I agreed. I also made the mistake of booking a relatively late flight so whilst I was wrestling with my bike the rest of the party were enjoying a champagne reception ....
Lessons learned - book a much earlier flight this year, don't dissemble the bike to the same extent and allow time for a short test ride.
I'll check out Bike Box Allen.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
The way the airport staff threw our bikes into the hold at Manchester airport convinced me never to use a soft bag.My mate had his brand new Planet-X Pro-Carbon in my old bike-bag and he was horrified when he saw his pride and joy being handled so carelessly!
Luckily there didn't appear to be any damage but he had packed all his gear/clothes around the frame.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I use BikeboxAlan too as I can pick the box up.
No need to remove rear mech with any box AFAIK?
Just Wheels,pedals,saddle and bars takes about 15 mins.There is usually about 8-10 of us when we go to Mallorca so if anyone is not too confident someone who is helps out.We generally get to the Apartments,build the bikes and ride straight away.

Yep exactly the same and as you say a quick test it ride in Mallorca down to somewhere like Sa Pobla or Muro and back and its happy days :okay:

iluvmybike

Über Member
No way would I ever consider a soft shell case or plastic bag - seen too many damaged bikes thrown around by luggage handlers. It does make it difficult though if you want to go on a touring holiday as you need to store the case for when you get back - and assuming you go round in a circle!!

Top Bottom