Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another hazard of a trike is that hitherto-unnoticed slopes turn into Mont Ventoux.
There's two between me and Asda, which are particularly apparent with a weeks shopping on board.
I fitted an electric front wheel kit to mine :cycle:

The main hazzard of tricycling is being a good bi cyclist. Non bikers can ride trikes pretty easily but you have to unlearn bi cycling. You cant steer by leaning or balance by steering. On a trike you steer by steering and balance by balancing. Trikes also respond to road camber much more than bikes. I find it a fun and different experience.

Cornering can be 'interesting' too :ohmy:

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I once had a go on a trike and found it most difficult after years of cycling and motor-cycling.
When my brother was teaching me to drive a car, he couldn't understand why I leaned into the bend when cornering.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
True. The first few times I rode a trike I intended to turn one way, and ended up going sharply the other.
I hadn't realised I initiate a turn by doing a slight counter-steer...
It takes a while to realise that when turning a trike, you want the inside pedal down. Helps get the weight distribution right, but is very counter-intuitive to a cyclist.

OP
OP
S

Scorpio

During the first lock-down I fettled-up my 1960s Carlton that had rotted in the garage for more than 30 years.
In my young days, I was a keen road cyclist and loved the two-wheel life.
I'm 73 now ... a half-decent engineer ... and keen to have a go.
After a lot of work, I got the old machine up and running.
I gave it a coat of paint ... Away we go (I Thought).
BUT .... Then I got on it.
Oh dear !!
I had lost my sense of balance and lost my confidence.
I almost fell-off - It was like when I was a kid of 10 years old, trying to ride a two-wheeler for the first time.
Like the OP ... I couldn't balance and I couldn't steer.
After a cup tea, I swallowed my hurt-pride and I had another go ... up and down our quiet road.
Next - Round the block a few times.
Then I tried going further and further each time.
The traffic didn't worry me - It never did.
Slowly my balance and my confidence came back and is now as good as it ever was.
I don't have the stamina that I used to have.
That's not surprising.
The fun and the pleasure is still there.
Persevere - If you can .... It does get better.
Thanks for the advice but my doc thinks there is something neurological going on with my stenosis which is why he has recommended I get a trike. Interestingly he did add that the leaning forward seating position would be beneficial because it would free up space between my vertebrae for the nerves to work better.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How about a tadpole trike?
I had a go on a KMX cheapo model a few years ago. Bloody good fun despite it being in crap condition. No need to unlearn bicycling skills either as they're low to the ground and stable as a very stable thing.
I quite fancy the new Kolt myself.

Top Bottom