Advice re new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
When I chose my bike the chap said I'd need the small frame - it does seem small compared with my old bike.
I have been reading the handbook that came with the bike and it says when standing over the frame there should be 1-2 inches clearance.
I don't have that - I hit the frame with my erm...well you know!

I'm not happy and am going to call them first thing tomorrow. I am sure I should have the medium frame (which they had in stock but they had to order the small frame in for me).

I know it goes on height - I'm touching 5' 7'' but I must have longer legs and a shorter body.
If I have to take it back I'm not going to be happy - it costs me £12.10 to get there and back on the train.

Do you think he has advised me wrong?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
But a medium frame you would have even less clearance.

Ian193

Über Member
My OH has just ordered her road bike she's roughly the same hight as you and they have had to order a 52cm frame it's a specialized allez she tried a 54cm but it was too big

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
But a medium frame you would have even less clearance.
Duh! :banghead:
Maybe it's because the frames are so different now?
My old bike is 8 years old and very big but I can stand over the frame and not bump myself on it. Do you think it's that?
The frame does seem small and the seat is probably at about it's maximum height.
I haven't really ridden it, only for 5 mins home from the train station and it could have been the seat not being where it should be but it felt 'cramped' compared with my old bike.

Surely the small frame isn't too big??

Cubist

Still wavin'
Divided opinion on MTB frames. Small would sound about right for a MTB, you want it t be chuckable, not stretched out (unless you intend to race XC or Marathon). Get the saddle up to within an inch or so of "road height" and experiment with the saddle fore and aft adjustment. Other potential wins are a slightly longer stem, or wider bars, but a small 29er will seem a bit sit up and beg until you get used to the new position.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Mountain bike, i think your height puts you in the middle between small and medium, but you do need a bit of space between the frame and your bits, so i would stick with the small, there are a few things you can change ,the stem

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Divided opinion on MTB frames. Small would sound about right for a MTB, you want it t be chuckable, not stretched out (unless you intend to race XC or Marathon). Get the saddle up to within an inch or so of "road height" and experiment with the saddle fore and aft adjustment. Other potential wins are a slightly longer stem, or wider bars, but a small 29er will seem a bit sit up and beg until you get used to the new position.
Yes...I actually like the more upright position on it (due to my arthritic spine and neck)...it's obviously very different from my Saracen and I know that I take a long time to get used to change. Would the fact it's a 29er affect the frame?
I just don't feel comfortable standing over it and hitting the down tube. I have balance issues and sometimes I need to jump off the bike quick - with my Saracen I know I can do that without hitting myself. On this bike I'm going to hurt myself!

Do you think I should call them and ask or just wait and adjust everything first?

sazzaa

I don't have much stand over clearance either but don't think it matters, the bike feels great and I just get on and off with the bike at a slight angle, I can't think why I'd ever need both feet on the ground anyway?

Top Bottom