Advice re new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i'm 5ft 10 and i ride a 17" 29er and only just have enough clearance when standing over the frame

yet my road bike is 20" - it's the 29er wheels that make the bike stand taller, which is why they gave you the smaller frame

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
i'm 5ft 10 and i ride a 17" 29er and only just have enough clearance when standing over the frame

yet my road bike is 20" - it's the 29er wheels that make the bike stand taller, which is why they gave you the smaller frame
Yes...I've only just got my head around this!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Looks to me like the seatpost angle is a little more upright/aggressive on the Trek. This may make for a shorter reach to the bars, and a little more responsive handling. I like the Trek bicycles' looks a great deal, and I think, coupled with the 26" wheels, it may be better suited .

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Yes...I actually like the more upright position on it (due to my arthritic spine and neck)...it's obviously very different from my Saracen and I know that I take a long time to get used to change. Would the fact it's a 29er affect the frame?
I just don't feel comfortable standing over it and hitting the down tube. I have balance issues and sometimes I need to jump off the bike quick - with my Saracen I know I can do that without hitting myself. On this bike I'm going to hurt myself!

Do you think I should call them and ask or just wait and adjust everything first?

Pipe lagging round the top tube until you get confident on the new bike, that way if you do crash land it'll be a bit softer on the, ahem, areas of femininity...

surfdude

Veteran
put a post in the mtb forum and you will find some more advice there i am sure . i did test ride a 29er and it felt very different to my 26 so stuck to a 26 . hope you get it sorted soon

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Well lets hope they have got you sorted, i must say the Trek looks so much nicer.^_^

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I can't believe no has suggested that you should be burnt at the stake for going to Evans instead of your LBS. :biggrin:
I went to my LBS but they didn't have the choice of bikes for me to try and I could only look at the ones I was interested in, in a catalogue.
I must say I've found them very helpful at Evans.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I must say I've found them very helpful at Evans.
Hmmmm.... Apart from selling you a bike that was too big! I know you tried a bigger frame before ordering the small, which wasn't in stock at that time. They should still have checked it out for fitment before you left the shop with it, though.
At least they are sorting it out now.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hmmmm.... Apart from selling you a bike that was too big! I know you tried a bigger frame before ordering the small, which wasn't in stock at that time. They should still have checked it out for fitment before you left the shop with it, though.
At least they are sorting it out now.
Yeah, tbh they asked me if I wanted to ride it in the street outside but it's city centre Glasgow and I can't/don't do roads so I said no :sad:

Sounds like it's sorted but the problem is that a straight top tube needs to rise more steeply on a 29er to meet the headtube. Stand over space is therefore often smaller both in clearance and in forward movement because of the steep rise. A lot of manufacturers curve their top tube for this reason.

New bike looks neat too.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Sounds like it's sorted but the problem is that a straight top tube needs to rise more steeply on a 29er to meet the headtube. Stand over space is therefore often smaller both in clearance and in forward movement because of the steep rise. A lot of manufacturers curve their top tube for this reason.

New bike looks neat too.
I really wanted the 29er too :sad:
But with my medical issues I have to feel comfortable and safe

Top Bottom