Advice re new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't have much stand over clearance either but don't think it matters, the bike feels great and I just get on and off with the bike at a slight angle, I can't think why I'd ever need both feet on the ground anyway?
It's a confidence thing.
I have balance issues and I need to feel happy about putting both feet down as I stop...if I do that on this bike I hit myself on the frame.
It just feels uncomfortable. I'm unsure whether to return the bike now and get something with a different frame or whether to just keep trying. But what if I can't get used to it?

sazzaa

It's a confidence thing.
I have balance issues and I need to feel happy about putting both feet down as I stop...if I do that on this bike I hit myself on the frame.
It just feels uncomfortable. I'm unsure whether to return the bike now and get something with a different frame or whether to just keep trying. But what if I can't get used to it?
If it feels uncomfortable then return the bike and find something you feel comfortable with. You're not going to gain confidence if you're not happy.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Something like this may suit you better,http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/myka-disc-se-26-2014-womens-mountain-bike-ec053423 my other half has the full suspension version of this and it gives her plenty of clearance and it's a nice ride.
yes, just been looking at what else they have and I looked at that one initially as well as this....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/tango-7-2014-womens-mountain-bike-ec056196

I think the only thing I'd really lose would be the hydraulic disc brakes. I'd really like to keep to the 29er.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It's probably the 29inch wheels that are the problem, the 29ers i have seen all look big, but not really into MTBs so i could be wrong, nothing wrong with 26 inch wheels.

Justiffa

I tend to agree tht its not the size but the frame/design if u're already using 'small'... maybe u need the type of bike tht has the top tube slanting downwards more for greater clearing/space.

All the best with getting ur problems solved so that u can ride happy again.

Bladeboy

Regular
Ride with spd pedals :bicycle:you won't be able to to jump off the bike then, I love it when a plan comes together :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you off roading or riding on the road? You shouldn't crash if the latter

29ers do feel stretched out if you are used to a 26". Did you not get a test ride or at least sit on the bike before buying? Evans usually very good for test rides

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Are you off roading or riding on the road? You shouldn't crash if the latter

29ers do feel stretched out if you are used to a 26". Did you not get a test ride or at least sit on the bike before buying? Evans usually very good for test rides
I'll be using it off road, mainly light trails, cycle paths and towpaths.
They had a medium frame in the shop which I stood over...the guy recommended the small frame. When I picked it up I only sat on it to adjust the seat. It wasn't until I rode it home (5 mins) when I got off the train that I felt it wasn't quite right.
I tried it again this morning when hubby got home and he reckoned part of the issue is the seat. When it was swung out of the way I had about an inch clearance (it's unisex and seems very long to me!). MTB's are meant to have 2-3 inch clearance and that's what I'm used to.

I just don't know what to do but I do know it's the frame I dislike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Right, I have spoken to them...very helpful.

I'm going back with the bike later today and have discussed my specific needs in more detail and the issues I was having with the Fuji.
It looks like I'm best going back to the 26 wheel and will be ordering this...

trek-skye-sl-disc-2013-womens-mountain-bike_zps3684fd7f.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's probably the 29inch wheels that are the problem, the 29ers i have seen all look big, but not really into MTBs so i could be wrong, nothing wrong with 26 inch wheels.

This ^.

Looking at the photo's the bike is high at the front with the wheel size, that's a small frame. In this case the clearance issue isn't right. I'd also say the frame is OK, you maybe want a longer stem if cramped, but your seat post doesn't look all that far out of the frame.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
This ^.

Looking at the photo's the bike is high at the front with the wheel size, that's a small frame. In this case the clearance issue isn't right. I'd also say the frame is OK, you maybe want a longer stem if cramped, but your seat post doesn't look all that far out of the frame.
The guy agreed the 29 wheels maybe the issue as they are higher.
We discussed at length and I told him what I liked and he offered other suggestions.

Side by side I can now see the issue...
fuji-nevada-29er-14-disc-2014-mountain-bike_zpsf973d6fa.jpg

trek-skye-sl-disc-2013-womens-mountain-bike_zps3684fd7f.jpg

Top Bottom