advice regarding a ribble racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
It'll take you 2 mins to register for quidco and you get cash back at hundreds of retailers. I've saved a few hundred in the last year or so, and one of my friends has saved a couple of grand!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
the larger ones do but the 7.5 litre Maxi just attaches with three Velcro straps and ive started adding an extra plastic tie for some extra stability. the maxi is a very large s
addle bag for 17 quid which is an excellent item having used it for only a week.

£17..!..............where..? link...? thanks

RebornBumbler

tes im nearly sure id prefer a 58cm large frame, im 6 ft just. what do you think.

just change the wheels and tyres first once i receive the Felt? or soon after?

I'm 5' 10" and have the 56cm F95 which is just about perfect for me, so I'd say yes.

The wheels are undoubtedly relatively cheap and cheerful, but I've done quite a few hundred miles on them now, and just make sure I keep tweaking the spokes after more arduous potholed rides. They're still pretty true and the bearings aren't giving cause for concern.
(They look better once the decals are removed too, and getting the glue off is good exercise for the thumbs :smile: )

I'm probably unusual in that I like the Vittoria Zaffiros - I haven't found them to be dangerously slippery in the wet (I've only badly lost traction over a few metal drain-covers, all controllable) and throw them into corners in the dry without a thought.
I'm always expecting punctures, as they have effectively no protection, but so far, no problems.
And they are dirt-cheap...

I am planning for replacement wheels and planning on folding Rubino Pros for the really mucky weather, but right now, neither is a requirement.

OP
OP

2clepto

I'm 5' 10" and have the 56cm F95 which is just about perfect for me, so I'd say yes.

The wheels are undoubtedly relatively cheap and cheerful, but I've done quite a few hundred miles on them now, and just make sure I keep tweaking the spokes after more arduous potholed rides. They're still pretty true and the bearings aren't giving cause for concern.
(They look better once the decals are removed too, and getting the glue off is good exercise for the thumbs :smile: )

I'm probably unusual in that I like the Vittoria Zaffiros - I haven't found them to be dangerously slippery in the wet (I've only badly lost traction over a few metal drain-covers, all controllable) and throw them into corners in the dry without a thought.
I'm always expecting punctures, as they have effectively no protection, but so far, no problems.
And they are dirt-cheap...

I am planning for replacement wheels and planning on folding Rubino Pros for the really mucky weather, but right now, neither is a requirement.

hiya reborn and thanks.

i am very convinced by the 95. went looking again last night and fell again upon a sportive like this,

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/sportif-15-2014-road-bike-ec055667

my reasoning is, i dont know if i want to give up the ability to bump up kerbs, id prefer disc brakes, i like the shorter top bar, u can ride through the woods on this, take short cuts, etc. but how much slower is this ride with the different gearing to the Felt?

are there any massive benefits to having a road bike over a sportive or a tourer, excluding riding position?

thanks.

RebornBumbler

They're quite dissimilar, which suggests you're not really yet sure what you're after...
There's quite a difference in price too, and it definitely helps slimi-down the options if you pick a price point before buying.

The F95 is certainly not going to be a lot of fun going through the woods (unless the woods have a nice paved/tarmac path), but I'm not sure that Fuji's an ideal bike for the rough stuff either - you'd be better looking at cyclocross bikes.

You could always get another set of wheels and/or slick tyres for a 'crosser' on the road, but you're never going to fit anything over a 25mm tyre on an F95.

OP
OP

2clepto

They're quite dissimilar, which suggests you're not really yet sure what you're after...
There's quite a difference in price too, and it definitely helps slimi-down the options if you pick a price point before buying.

The F95 is certainly not going to be a lot of fun going through the woods (unless the woods have a nice paved/tarmac path), but I'm not sure that Fuji's an ideal bike for the rough stuff either - you'd be better looking at cyclocross bikes.

You could always get another set of wheels and/or slick tyres for a 'crosser' on the road, but you're never going to fit anything over a 25mm tyre on an F95.

thanks. ill research cyclocross this afternoon.

you are right im unsure. looking for three weeks compelled me to post here. buying a bike on a budget is like being in a maze. plus im learning the nomenclature as fast as i can.

OP
OP

2clepto

follow up. Bike pic attached.

got this 2 weeks ago for £350 with rubino tyres and alex rims ( upgraded? i cant remember if the guy said or not because he was away and i dealt with the sale via email and his friend remaining in their house) and shoes (one size too small hehe), cleats, a helmet, 2 continental inner tubes unused, a chain tool, 2 bottle cages, a bike lock that looks like it cost £40 and a large puncture repair kit.

the bike had some dilemmas. it hadnt been cared for much. all the gears were out of line, the bolts that hold in the handle bars seemed threaded because one failed to tighten, but when i changed the stem because i had a spare shorter one, the bolts tighten good on the stem i got with the bike, maybe the bolts were out of kilt to each other and i didnt notice initially? and the main problem, a seized seatpost.

6 hours later im on youtube discovering the mini nightmare a seized seatpost can be. but anyway, i consider trying a local garage with a vice and a massive pipe wrench. deciding against and bought this 36in pipe wrench with rubber grip and free magnetic dropper tool ))

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111426947918?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

my reasoning, i get to keep the tool if it functions well.

so i buy it and i also get some anti seize paste. i ride the bike kind of over the last week sorting the gears and things, changing the seat, etc. and both the tool and the paste arrive this morning ten days earlier than expected.

the wrench worked. it was a couple hour job taking my time repeating the wd40, then bam it went loose ish and i got it out after 20 mins pulling and yanking up. didnt need other big men either. it mustnt have been crazy stuck fast, only really really stuck fast. as you can imagine i was very happy. i dont like riding with a low seat.

the seat post took a battering. its covered in scrapes and digs from the wrench and the wrench, in the turning process, squeezed the stem slightly enough to see an elipse. the top of the frame where the seatpost inserts is paint chipped too, from failed attempts to prize it open slightly last week squirting lubricating oil down it. i don't mind at all though because its out and riding the bike today was a dream, it was flying.

thanks again for all the advice its very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140812_020922.jpg
    20140812_020922.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom