Advice regarding Shimano SPD pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The problem comes when they are second nature and you simply forget you're clipped in, come to a halt and attempt to lift your foot from the pedal rather than clip out. This is usually followed by a slow motion fall to one side or the other while you frantically try to remember (in the half second or so that you'll have) how to get out of the damned things!!

AKA - "Doing a Dell Boy" :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I use a Specialized trainer type SPD shoe and the Shimano A530 single sided touring pedals on my commuter and get on really well with them :okay: The option of being able to jump on the bike in any shoe is really useful, as is the option of using the flat side in heavy traffic at junctions where I'd otherwise be clipping and unclipping every few metres :laugh:

The shoe is definitely not as stiff as my others but that has many benefits whilst off the bike, in fact sometimes when I've arrived at work I forget to change them :laugh:

Regards cleat position there are a few things to bear in mind. The cleat should be approximately centred below the ball of your foot; too far forwards or backwards can cause discomfort over longer rides. As mentioned on the previous page your feet will have a natural position; try and recreate this with the cleat angle. Another thing to remember is depending on your bike geometry if you angle the heels in too far you will clip the chainstays which can get tiresome ;)

Also, don't be tempted to do what a friend of mine did and fit the cleats loosely to check they're in the right place; once clipped in it won't come out again before you've hit the ground :laugh:

Once you're used to it they really are second nature, it doesnt take long :okay: I've been using them for 20 years (with a 10 year gap haha) and I've only "done a dell boy" thrice; once off the back showing off doing a wheely, once in the winter when the pedal got full of compacted snow and ice and I ended up in a snow drift as the only safe place to land and more recently when I just forgot I was clipped in and stopped... It's akin to the feeling you get when driving a manual and you're used to an automatic and you're slowing to a stop when the engine starts to stall; you've got a split second to work out what the hell is going on and do something about it :laugh:

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Loving the replies to this :laugh:

I’m more and more convinced and have even changed the order to SPD only. No dual purpose!

My plan is to test beforehand but to use them when I do the NC 500 in Scotland in a couple of weeks.

My thinking is a) the roads will be pretty quiet b) it’ll be a tough tour anyway, in terms of miles and hills, so hopefully less wasted energy.

Keep it coming, they’re useful tips. And hilarious, too.......

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Incidently, nearly did a Del Boy this morning - my first time on SPD's for a while, after using my single speed bike with flat pedals for the summer.

Funniest one I heared, was a bloke on another forum who, rather than unclip at a junction, decided to lean on a bollard. Unfortunely, it was one of those collapsable ones :laugh:

I’m more and more convinced and have even changed the order to SPD only. No dual purpose!

My plan is to test beforehand but to use them when I do the NC 500 in Scotland in a couple of weeks.

My thinking is a) the roads will be pretty quiet b) it’ll be a tough tour anyway, in terms of miles and hills, so hopefully less wasted energy.

The roads will be full of motorhomes and cars and caravans doing the NC500

Levo-Lon

Guru
Go to the pub tonight or for a cheeky lunchtime pint. Whilst you're there hop up onto a bar stool and let your legs relax. Chances are, your feet are not pointing forwards.

Use this knowledge as the basis for the cleat alignment. The cleats want to be pointing forwards but not necessary your feet. SPDs don't offer the most float so a little fiddling with cleats can make a big difference.

agree but watch for heals catching the frame , i have mine set heal in but not enough to rub.

if i set them to my real foot angle id snap spokes:laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If I can manage them anyone can! Lol

I keep the tension backed right off and use the multi release cleats which will actually release if you panic and yank your foot.

Don't forget the post by @Mo1959

Flip the standard SH51 cleats for SH56's and you'll never have a problem coming off due to your inability to disengage the cleats.

I used them for around three years or so and when they wore out I dug out the old SH51's and found the transition to them perfectly fine.

There is often much merriment on forums re clipless moments but they just aren't funny. You can easily be injured as well as damaging your lovely bike.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Don't forget the post by @Mo1959

Flip the standard SH51 cleats for SH56's and you'll never have a problem coming off due to your inability to disengage the cleats.

I used them for around three years or so and when they wore out I dug out the old SH51's and found the transition to them perfectly fine.

There is often much merriment on forums re clipless moments but they just aren't funny. You can easily be injured as well as damaging your lovely bike.
I know there's danger, I'm happy with the stories that are laughing with not at us.

Last edited:
Well, I've just switched to clipless (had the opportunity to buy some shimano road shoes in clearance at a very competitive price) and had my first go this afternoon.

I fell over before I even got going. :blush:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Well, I've just switched to clipless (had the opportunity to buy some shimano road shoes in clearance at a very competitive price) and had my first go this afternoon.

I fell over before I even got going. :blush:

How with you get on once you had brushed yourself down and checked who saw the incident? :smile: I'm due a clipless moment, haven't had one for years but still remember the panic as you teeter on the brink :laugh:

Serge

Über Member
How with you get on once you had brushed yourself down and checked who saw the incident? :smile: I'm due a clipless moment, haven't had one for years but still remember the panic as you teeter on the brink :laugh:
My favourite ones are when you're pulling to a stop, you unclip your right foot then lean to the left. Cue furiously rapid foot twisting, violent enough to pull a fetlock.

Once I got going, I was fine. Coming to a stop was ok if a bit klutzy...

I toppled over rather gracelessly in front of a neighbour who was passing by. That, and the fact that walking in road shoes with cleats is like trying to walk on ice.

Top Bottom