Advice regarding Shimano SPD pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I leaned against a wall and practised clipping in/unclipping.

Practise in a garden or a green somewhere if you you want as well.

I unclip before I reach a junction or a point where I may need to stop.

As others said put the tension all the way down, and crank the tension up if you need/want.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Once I got going, I was fine. Coming to a stop was ok if a bit klutzy...

I toppled over rather gracelessly in front of a neighbour who was passing by. That, and the fact that walking in road shoes with cleats is like trying to walk on ice.

That's why SPD-SL's are not for me. Much easier to walk with SPD's.

That's why SPD-SL's are not for me. Much easier to walk with SPD's.

I went for spd cleats. :smile:

But they're fitted to road shoes as they were more comfy than the MTB / touring shoes that were in the same shop. Still on the lookout for a decent pair of the latter In the mean time, there for the grace of God go I, waddling on road shoes with cleats. :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I use these pedals for commuting, having switched from double-sided spd to single three years ago.
Mine always offer the spd side first so it's a scoosh to clip in. Not a moment's regret.

shimano dual pedals.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I went for spd cleats. :smile:

But they're fitted to road shoes as they were more comfy than the MTB / touring shoes that were in the same shop. Still on the lookout for a decent pair of the latter In the mean time, there for the grace of God go I, waddling on road shoes with cleats. :laugh:

All our feet are different but maybe have a look at something like these below (not available anymore but Shimano will still do something similar). Mine are 6 years old and still going strong and are easy to walk in. I don't need to walk in them much but I had a puncture on a very narrow winding lane a couple of years back and I had to walk a mile and a quarter to get to a safe (visibility issues) spot to fix the puncture. Would've been a nightmare in road shoes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt43-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod70096

Serge

Über Member
All our feet are different but maybe have a look at something like these below (not available anymore but Shimano will still do something similar). Mine are 6 years old and still going strong and are easy to walk in. I don't need to walk in them much but I had a puncture on a very narrow winding lane a couple of years back and I had to walk a mile and a quarter to get to a safe (visibility issues) spot to fix the puncture. Would've been a nightmare in road shoes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt43-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod70096
Very similar to the ones I wear and they're ten years old now! As comfy as my slippers.

Mmmm, will keep my eyes peeled. I'd been looking at the Decathlon Rockrider jobbies - they were OK, but I'm sure I can do better.

One issue I've found, though is that there's a lot less choice in the smaller shoe sizes.

Went on a shoe-hunting mission today (by bike, of course) and ended up with a pair of Shimano MT34s. Had been thinking about a pair of Giro Petras, but no one had any in.

Loving the single-sided B'twin MTB pedals I put on the bike though. The spd side is easy to clip in and out of, while the flat side is nice and grippy and just the ticket for urban cycling.

Top Bottom