Advice required pls..rear hub issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Hi..looking for a bit of advice pls. I bought a brand new carbon framed bike with carbon wheels last May as a treat for myself post heart attack. Went to a LBS (10 miles away from where i live) had a chat and paid 2.5k for the whole set up. All was well until I took it to france and cycled on an island called Il De Ray, was rainy etc, when I got the bike back to UK the rear wheel hub started squeaking and felt rough when turned. Took it back to the LBS and they said it looked like the grease had suffered due to water ingress..repacked it..all was ok..put it down to salt water getting into hub. All ok until yesterday when I took a day off work to go fo a ride and its squeaking again. Wheelset cost 800 quid so i am really peed off now. Less than a year and its happened again. Anyway there is a mechanic nearby whonis reliable and have took it to him to look at as getting to the LBS means i would have to take a train there and back (i dont drive an my wife who does is away for a few days). Question for you all is..is it usual for rear hubs to keep having such issues and also would it be wise to take it back to LBS and complain? I have contacted the wheel maker ( small company in netherlands) and asked them about warranty and awaiting a reply.. thoughts pls..

pawl

Legendary Member
French getting there own back for brexit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think you say whether the hub squeaks on rolling or on freewheeling. If on rolling, is there a rubber dust shield on the non-drive side and are you sure that's not just dry? This is a common cause of hub squeaks. Pull it off and grease where it runs in a groove with rubber grease, white lithium grease or even Mr Sheen but not automotive grease.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
No sound on freewheel. Just pedalling. When u take the wheel off and spin it is feels rough and squeaks.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Sure its not sand? Ile de Re is made of the stuff and my bike got a good wash down after some miles there last year.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Sure its not sand? Ile de Re is made of the stuff and my bike got a good wash down after some miles there last year.
Cant be as after returning from france last year the lbs replaced the bearings etc. Im wondering if the hub has a defect

the snail

Guru
Sounds like the hubs aren't well-sealed. Ok if you live in California, not so good in UK. Could be that a wheelset with well-sealed hubs is the answer, and keep the fancy ones for dry use only.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Sounds like the hubs aren't well-sealed. Ok if you live in California, not so good in UK. Could be that a wheelset with well-sealed hubs is the answer, and keep the fancy ones for dry use only.
Agree however i only use them when its dry..other than the time in france i mentioned earlier. Reckon water has got in after washing the bike..tho I am always very careful not to go made with the water

Top Bottom