Advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Swift

Yo guys

I need advise on what peddles and shoes to buy, I'm looking at 50quid max for both and the ones which your shoes clip into your peddles?

I went for a hour ride the other day and drank 750ml of water.... I'm looking at buying another water bottle meaning I'll carry two bottles with me, shall I buy a 1ltr bottle for same price as the 750ml at decathlon.

I used mapmyrideride on my iPhone 4S how do you guys get on with these devices do you bung them in your saddle bag or in the back of your jacket or do you have the mount for your Handel bars?

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano M520 SPD pedals good and cheap for beginners http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Shimano - Pedals|cn:Chain Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:14364UK_Shimano M520 Clipless SPD MTB Pedals&gclid=CPng15evuroCFWTHtAodmk8Axw

And SPD shoes that fit your budget - what size feet do you have - if not a standard 9/10/11 you may find a good deal in a sale

Ref the bottle, 750ml is standard, 1 may not fit comfortably in your bottle cage / on the bike if there is another bottle in the way

My phone just stays on the saddle bag/pannier rack...the handlebar mount I bought was extremely unreliable and almost ended up with my phone being run ver on several occasions!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Thank you shall get them on payday.
I'm a size 7 shoe will have a look around.

Ahhh I didn't think of the size on the frame.... I stick with the 750ml bottles.

Am I drinking too much per hour or not enough?

Octet

Veteran
+1 to the Shimano M520

For first time clipless, they are brilliant. They are of good quality, are robust and they allow you to easily clip in and out without any hassle or getting stuck which could lead to a "clipless moment".

Equally, being double sided means you don't have that mad bit of panic when you are setting off from a junction or set of lights of trying to flip the pedal so you can clip in.

Octet

Veteran
Am I drinking too much per hour or not enough?

Drink when you need it.
If you're feeling thirsty then have some water but otherwise don't bother trying to match exact values of consumption.

It will all depend on a number of things such as how hard you're working, the temperature, weather, humidity, the terrain etc. so it is impossible to determine if you are drinking enough.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Thanks the shimano m520 will be brought on Thursday morning. I'm going on a 30mile ride Thursday should I buy shoes and use them straight away on Thursday?

Thanks for advise on drinking. Should I carry a apple and nutrigain bar with me? Should I swap a bottle of water for orange squash or energy drink?

vickster

Legendary Member
I am not sure I would try a 30 mile ride on SPDs if never used. You need to be sure the cleats are in the right position or you can end up with aches and pains in knees and elsewhere

Also, may want to practice ;)

A couple of hours really isn't long enough to worry about nutrition (other than coffee and cake of course ;) ), but take what you fancy. Liquid wise, when it's cool, 750ml would be ample for me over a couple of hours. Have a good bowl of porridge before you set off and you should be fine. A banana probably more satisfying and easier to eat than an apple. Nutrigrain bars are chock full of sugar so not actually too good for you (a biscuit pretending to be 'healthy') a proper oats-based cereal bar better :smile:

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Understand very much so.... Will buy Thursday use normal peddles n trainers and then practise when home clipping in and out.

Thanks again for advise just don't wanna get caught out, so sultana bran for breakfast and a apple a hour before ride with after ride a ham salard sandwich is ok?

vickster

Legendary Member
Pedals ;)

You should be fine with that, but take some cash, you can always buy something

Don't forget your spare inner tubes and tools

vickster

Legendary Member
www.quidco.com

You linked to shoes on Chainreaction cycles site ;)

With cycling shoes you may be advised to buy a size 7 and an 8 and return one pair - sizing can be a little different to trainers for example, but does depend on the shoe and the shape of your foot

Top Bottom