Advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I am not sure I would try a 30 mile ride on SPDs if never used. You need to be sure the cleats are in the right position or you can end up with aches and pains in knees and elsewhere
SPD's are rather more forgiving than SPD-SL's, they do have a good bit of float, especially if you slacken the tension right off. I do agree with needing some practice with them first though :smile:

I found with my Shimano shoes, that I needed to go up 1 size from normal for the right fit.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have a pair of MT23s and whilst they're a good beginner's shoe, they are made of the most porous material known to man. Lovely and cool in summer, but in the current weather conditions, your feet will get cold and wet and you will be miserable. With winter coming, you might want to consider something a bit more robust, or you may find you need to shell out for a pair of overshoes almost immediately.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

I have a pair of MT23s and whilst they're a good beginner's shoe, they are made of the most porous material known to man. Lovely and cool in summer, but in the current weather conditions, your feet will get cold and wet and you will be miserable. With winter coming, you might want to consider something a bit more robust, or you may find you need to shell out for a pair of overshoes almost immediately.

Ill buy some overshoes then... Are there any other shoes i could buy or are overshoes the way to go?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ill buy some overshoes then... Are there any other shoes i could buy or are overshoes the way to go?
I think pedals shoes and overshoes all for 50 quid might be pushing it, so I would try and find a more robust shoe to start with which will be ok with some thick socks for autumn, and get some overshoes later once winter has really set in. Those MT23s really aren't wind or water resistant at all.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

I think pedals shoes and overshoes all for 50 quid might be pushing it, so I would try and find a more robust shoe to start with which will be ok with some thick socks for autumn, and get some overshoes later once winter has really set in. Those MT23s really aren't wind or water resistant at all.

Thanks i have £50 this pay day then can have another £50 nxt pay day end of nov....

Inthecup

Shimano M520 SPD pedals good and cheap for beginners http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Shimano - Pedals|cn:Chain Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:14364UK_Shimano M520 Clipless SPD MTB Pedals&gclid=CPng15evuroCFWTHtAodmk8Axw

And SPD shoes that fit your budget - what size feet do you have - if not a standard 9/10/11 you may find a good deal in a sale

Ref the bottle, 750ml is standard, 1 may not fit comfortably in your bottle cage / on the bike if there is another bottle in the way

My phone just stays on the saddle bag/pannier rack...the handlebar mount I bought was extremely unreliable and almost ended up with my phone being run ver on several occasions!

Are these pedals ok for use on a road bike or better suited to MTB?

Top Bottom