Advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAtoo

Über Member
Are these pedals ok for use on a road bike or better suited to MTB?

I obviously didn't read enough here before i bought my SPD_SL shoes and pedals - the SL clips make the shoes a right PITA to walk in and I do not like the idea of walking any distance home from a ride in them. I will be buying MTB shoes and pedals before too long....

Inthecup

I obviously didn't read enough here before i bought my SPD_SL shoes and pedals - the SL clips make the shoes a right PITA to walk in and I do not like the idea of walking any distance home from a ride in them. I will be buying MTB shoes and pedals before too long....

Depends on what type of riding your doing but I use DMR V12 pedals on my MTB. good platforms with good grips. Couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck to your bike off road!!

Steve T

Veteran
My advice,
buy a size bigger particularly with winter coming up you can put extra thick sock on. Also 520 SPD's excellent value.

Steve T

Veteran
One more thing MTB shoes are more comfortable to walk in off the bike and IMHO better to look at too! I've got some roadie shoes and I feel a plonker walking into the cake shop ( I mean gym) with them on.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Yo guys

I need advise on what peddles and shoes to buy, I'm looking at 50quid max for both and the ones which your shoes clip into your peddles?

I went for a hour ride the other day and drank 750ml of water.... I'm looking at buying another water bottle meaning I'll carry two bottles with me, shall I buy a 1ltr bottle for same price as the 750ml at decathlon.

I used mapmyrideride on my iPhone 4S how do you guys get on with these devices do you bung them in your saddle bag or in the back of your jacket or do you have the mount for your Handel bars?
Good choice on the M520 pedals. You can get cheap shoes at Sports direct for around £30, either instore or online.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Good choice on the M520 pedals. You can get cheap shoes at Sports direct for around £30, either instore or online.

Thanks mate shall have a look around defo need them... Hope they will help improve my riding especially riding up hills which i was left standing lol

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think clipless pedals which make you appreciably faster on hills - that's fitness and technique really

I don't think clipless pedals which make you appreciably faster on hills - that's fitness and technique really
I agree, but not having to worry about what your feet are doing does help, and I can push harder on the hills with clip-in pedals.

MikeW-71

Veteran
When going up hills should i be in the very easiest gear ?
Depends on the hill. When climbing, pick a comfortable rhythm and try to stick to it, drop down gears so you can maintain that. If that means dropping to the lowest gear, so be it.

I find now that I tend to be only going to my lowest gear when the gradient gets to 10% or more. Steepest I've done is 20%... that really hurts!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Depends on the hill. When climbing, pick a comfortable rhythm and try to stick to it, drop down gears so you can maintain that. If that means dropping to the lowest gear, so be it.

I find now that I tend to be only going to my lowest gear when the gradient gets to 10% or more. Steepest I've done is 20%... that really hurts!

Thanks for info, I dunno what percentage they was I got up them just struggled but then again the other 2 I was with one cycles everyday 20 miles and the other is a PE teacher.

I need to get practicing looking at doing coast to coast whitehaven to Sunderland next May.

Thanks for info, I dunno what percentage they was I got up them just struggled but then again the other 2 I was with one cycles everyday 20 miles and the other is a PE teacher.

I need to get practicing looking at doing coast to coast whitehaven to Sunderland next May.
Being a P.E. teacher means nothing in this game, runners come into cycling and struggle to start with, as @MikeW-71 says a lot of it is about a consistent rhythm, especially the longer steady ones, something your comfortable with, the more you do the better you become.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
With regards to SPD pedals. Be really careful because I think most of us on here have fallen off our bikes at one stage or other because we could not get our feet free. Make sure you unscrew them so they are loose.

With regards to drinking this is my opinion, and it works for me. It is not about measures, it isabout the colour of your urine. If it is dark you need more fluid. It needs to be very pale. It may be rubbish but it is my rubbish.

Steve

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Sorry mate, they are not. They are spd-sl shoes for road riding. The pedals are spd ones, technically for mountain biking. Not that you have to though. You must buy shoes to match the pedals.

Top Bottom