Advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Sorry mate, they are not. They are spd-sl shoes for road riding. The pedals are spd ones, technically for mountain biking. Not that you have to though. You must buy shoes to match the pedals.
Thanks mate

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
With regards to SPD pedals. Be really careful because I think most of us on here have fallen off our bikes at one stage or other because we could not get our feet free. Make sure you unscrew them so they are loose.

With regards to drinking this is my opinion, and it works for me. It is not about measures, it isabout the colour of your urine. If it is dark you need more fluid. It needs to be very pale. It may be rubbish but it is my rubbish.

Steve
Good sound advice!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Hello it's me again.... I feel such a retard!

So all set up but once clipped in which finding hard to do I appear to be able to pull my foot up without twisting ankle unclip ..... This carnt be right?

Octet

Veteran
Hello it's me again.... I feel such a retard!

So all set up but once clipped in which finding hard to do I appear to be able to pull my foot up without twisting ankle unclip ..... This carnt be right?

Some pedals are designed to have multiple methods of release, this is especially true in mountain bike pedals where you might need to unclip very quickly (such as if you're going full on towards a tree :B)).

All you need to do is adjust the tension until you get that balance between release and insertion.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Some pedals are designed to have multiple methods of release, this is especially true in mountain bike pedals where you might need to unclip very quickly (such as if you're going full on towards a tree :B)).

All you need to do is adjust the tension until you get that balance between release and insertion.
Thanks tension is as high as can get it and can just unclip easy... I'll check out tomoz when go for a ride and get a mate to have a butchers.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

I'm still not convinced I can pull my foot off like it was a normal pedal and tension is set to the highest possible.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks tension is as high as can get it and can just unclip easy... I'll check out tomoz when go for a ride and get a mate to have a butchers.
You want the tension low not high if you need it to be easy. What cleats do you have SPD (2 bolt) or SPD SL - assume the former if M520 pedals. Turn on both sides towards the minus

Also, make sure the bolts are screwed in tight, I have been in a situation where they had worked loose and it was very hard to unclip as the cleat was moving and couldn't get the resistance!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Hi all

Thanks all.... The problem seemed to be with one peddle where the tension is at the lowest possible but I'm unable to move the screw to change this.

I have moved the screw on the other peddle and the other side of the so called jammed one to the middle and I'm clipping in and out really good. Had a moment where I did fall today on a 20 mile ride, that was partly my fault. When cycling with other people I'm not quiet confident yet in been right behind them and plus I struggle to keep up, my pal today was a few meters in front of me and went at a junction, I didn't unclip thinking its clear as he went and a van was coming, guess what I couldn't unclip before stopping and fall lmao....

2miles from home and disaster struck I was lucky enought two get a puncture, changed the tube and pumped back up managed to ride a mile and tyre was flat again. Walked the rest of way home got home and noticed a slash in my tyre. Went and brought a new tyre and installed successfully however when I pumped up at 100 psi I made the tube pop.

This was my last tube so now have to get a few more tubes before next weekends ride, luckly the misses gets paid this week so she can buy me a few tubes.

I'm abit annoyed with myself as would have been nice to get this sorted and ready for next weekend but still I'll do it in the week ready for next weekends cycle.

The joys of been a beginner and a total novice, what a dick I am lmao!

Top Bottom