Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonni

First of all I would like to say hello. My name is Jon from Manchester.

I have got myself a racer/road bike and wanted to know how to go about getting fit and not creating any problems for myself.
I have done two rides up to now. One was just a mile and I was knackered :smile:. Today I did 5 miles and found I am still out of shape and my legs while riding were screaming with pain and burning but I managed it and felt better for doing it.

I have lung disease and a problem with my diaphragm so I am trying my best. Is there anything I can do to help my endurance?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Keep riding

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:
Build up slowly. Stay with the 5 mile route until it feels straightforward, then add a few miles, then a few more...... Don't worry about speed, just ride :smile:

Eat sensibly, cut down on booze and junk food (if needed) and you will find improvements.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Jonni.

It'll always be hard work for the first couple of rides or so, but will get easier. Just start off doing regular rides you are comfortable with and increase the mileage when you are able to.

How high have you got the saddle? Something common with new cyclists is to have it set too low, which makes riding harder work than it should be.

MikeG

Guru
Ride slower!

Make sure the bike is lubricated, and that there is at least 80 pounds of pressure in the tyres (this time of year, 100+ in the summer). So many new riders have ultra-soft tyres, and it is like dragging a weight along behind you. Then set yourself time rather than distance goals. Aim for an hour ride, at whatever pace you are comfortable with. When you can do that, do it a little bit quicker.

Find a buddy to cycle with. You'll find that chatting takes your mind off the ride, and before you know it you'll be halfway up that hill. Lose some weight (the 5:2 diet actually works.........). Do some more cycling. Then a bit more. Keep a diary of all your rides, and ride just a little more each week than the week before.

Then post from John O'Groats when you've finished your end-to-end, and thank us for all the advice! ;)

OP
OP
J

jonni

Many thanks for everyone's tips. Much appreciated.

Thanks Mike already started the diet and have stopped drinking :smile:. I'm going to try low carbs and high protein with plenty of fruit and veg next.

Hi Phil, thanks for your tips. I have altered the seat tonight so I have a slight bend of the knee as I felt it had to much of a bend. Have I done that right?

Thanks for your help MikeG, I will check the pressure tomorrow and add air if needed. The five miles I did today took me (according to the cheap meter I bought) 38 minutes. I paused the timer for 20minutes as I stopped for a coffee, :smile: a tweet for greeting half way. I will struggle to do an hour none stop for now due to my lungs. Will 30 to 40 minutes be OK for this week with a rest and then try to do the five mile none stop next week. Maybe the weeks following I could try and add a mile or two each week?

I just need to try and build my cardio up and hopefully my lungs should start to cope better. And hopefully that burning in my legs; is that lactic acid or something like that?

Thanks again for all your help.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Fruit and veg = good, but you need carbs for fuel, so a low carb diet is not really necessary. Just have slightly less of a portion and with regular exercise you will lose weight.

To get a good ballpark height for the saddle: sitting normally on the saddle, put your heels on the pedals and turn one to the 6-oclock position as far down as it goes. In this position your leg should be straight and your hips level. When you then put the ball of the foot on the pedal you'll have a slight bend of the knee. As Phil said, it's common for new riders to have the saddle too low and that will make your legs burn and puts a lot of stress on the knees.

Another one that new riders often do is to push too big a gear. Use the gears to keep your pedalling speed somewhere between 80rpm and 100rpm. It'll feel really fast, but it's much easier on the legs.

Go at your own pace, it takes as long as it takes. Take a break halfway if you need, gradually you'll not feel the need for a break until further into the ride... then further still etc. I would wait until you can do the 5 miles non-stop comfortably before adding distance. After that, add a mile or two until that is comfortable, then add again. If you can ride two or three times a week, that's even better.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome from powys and good luck. People here will be only to willing to, help, you and give you good advice.

clockman

Über Member
Hi Jonni, with your medical condition, take as much time as you like. Just take it at a comfortable pace. If you need to take a break, do so. The important thing is to enjoy your cycling.
Try to find several different rides of 5 miles length, going both clock and anti-clockwise. You don't want to get bored doing the same route over and over.
Good luck.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Somebody already said 'keep riding' and that just about sums it up. Use your bike to nip to the papershop, the chippy, the mother-in-laws, to work, to meet your mates when you're catching a train into town, whenever you can. Don't worry about distance or speed, that will come later. For the time being, enjoy the freedom that comes from using your bike for transport and you will find the fitness looks after itself!

MikeG

Guru
........Another one that new riders often do is to push too big a gear. Use the gears to keep your pedalling speed somewhere between 80rpm and 100rpm. It'll feel really fast, but it's much easier on the legs...........

This is the best advice you've received.

You complain about having sore legs after 5 miles, which says to me that you are trying to cycle using strength, rather than endurance. You should be sitting down the whole time, and spinning smaller gears. No one push of the pedals should be hard work. You have the choice of low revolutions/ high load against high revolutions/ low load. Millions of cyclists make the mistake of going for the low revs/ high load option, and then can't do any great distance, or climb hills.

Think of it this way: look at 100m sprinters' physiques. They are huge, muscly creatures with over-developed thighs. Have you ever seen one of them try to run more than 400 metres? It isn't pretty..... Then look at Mo Farrah. How far behind would he be in a race over 100m with the proper sprinters? Miles... Yet how far ahead would he be in a race over a mile? Cycling is a long-distance event (with the odd exception of some indoor track events). You simply cannot get enough oxygen to big thighs to keep them doing all the power work for, say, a 50 mile ride. You need to think of yourself as Mo Farrah on a bike, not Linford Christie. Mo's legs look like they'd break if he got into too high a gear and tried to push with all his strength, so what would he have to do to be a good cyclist? He'd have to spin those pedals at high revs/ low load, and use his endurance.

Mike

Top Bottom