Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHARITY

Okay, so just got back from a rather disappointing and hard 25 min bike ride it was about 8 miles buuuutt I did stop a couple times when riding up this one hill, but I did save a baby bird. ^.^ Okay first off, I know I have endurance I'm a distance runner, however how should your form be on a steep hill. Second, I notice that I tend to ride on the front part of my seat and use my arms more then my legs is that suppose to happen? and third I feel so tired gdjknareiopngdioaherminiohmnoi. Thanks for the advice peoples!

Last edited:
gdjknareiopngdioaherminiohmnoi

??????? :wacko:

As for the riding, not every ride is a pleasure IME, sometimes it just feels like a drag, but even when they do I always feel better for having done it.

Hills are purely relative to fitness, and whilst you must have a decent base fitness as an endurance runner, this doesn't necessarily equate to being a hill God without putting in the practice, and practice is the only way to improve hills IMO.

People often ask what's the best way to improve on hills, the only honest answer is, go ride them.

I often move about on the seat, I find it helps to improve circulation and comfort, so just find a position that works for you.

Oh and :welcome: to CC as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Make sure you are not pushing too big a gear. Lower gear, faster legs will use your cardio system more efficiently.

OP
OP
C

CHARITY

Make sure you are not pushing too big a gear. Lower gear, faster legs will use your cardio system more efficiently.
I was switching gear interchangeable. So, that on hill it was low gear in the front and high gear in the back, but after awhile, I found it easy if I do a low front gear, and a medium gear in the back, till got to like the last 10 meter, and I wanted to die but that's how I am with all hills.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Second, I notice that I tend to ride on the front part of my seat and use my arms more then my legs
Here in lies your problem- your hands go on the handlebars and use your legs/ feet to turn the pedals around- far far more effective. :rofl:

As mentioned you will move around a lot to start with to find what's comfortable to you, the endurance runner bit isn't really relevant as it's using different muscles in different ways- good to have a good base aerobic fitness though.
Just keep plugging at the hills- go a gear smaller than you think you should be- better to spin than grind.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well I'm not a long distance runner but I am a regular mountain hiker and am accustomed to long (10-15 hour) hill days with anything up to 10000' ascent/descent - bit tiring I'll admit but not bad for a nearly 58 year old (I think).

However, when I got back on a bike last year this counted for very little esp' hills which were hard - there are loads in the Lake District too!

Practice makes perfect and soon those killer hills become slopes although these get replaced by the next level of steeper killer hills! I have come to enjoy the challenge of a stiff climb!

Cringles

I tackle a pretty long steep hill on the way home from work. I try to go up it 3 times a week. I try to aim for spinny legs & relax, but more often or not, I tend to tense up & start getting lower back pain. Normally the hill doesn't bother me too much. But today I reached that point were I was ready to just walk the bike up the hill. I just sucked it up & kept peddling. I refuse to walk! I put it down to low energy & hungry :P I don't mind averaging 5mph up hill. As long as I don't get off.

Changing back to flat pedals didn't help either. I can't remember what it was like to climb or just pedal on flats. I already miss them. I'll have to look into touring style clipless. Being able to wear any shoe is a plus though.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Short steep hills are relative to power. On bike development takes a few weeks. Weak legs from running soon adapt to bike requirements.

Top Bottom